Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #11
pawsplus
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice
sorry but through reading this i cant help thinking tour arguing against yourself, because your asking questions to be answered but arguing against them?????

and about the uv thing, all tortoises need uv for healthy shells, it should be placed on the side of the table, you can provide loads of couverage by plants and hides so they can get away from the uv light. but they still need it,
My point is that this is actually a debatable issue when it comes to RFs. <sigh> I'm not a newbie -- I've been caring (very well) for my tort for 10 years now, and I've been around the block. I've also been providing UVB all that time. I was, however, convinced that there MIGHT be something to this theory, which is why I'm asking if anyone else does it this way. I am not sure of the answer, and if you are, fine. But I'm not.

How am I "arguing against myself?" What do you mean?
pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #12
pawsplus
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni115
Tort71 - Redfoots dont bask?????? Mine does
Yeah, mine does too.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #13
linda
Adult

hi

with regards to reds do not bask

torts can be divided with regards to how they regulate their temperatures

heliotherms are species that bask inorder to regulate their own body temperatures

thermo conformers are species that acquire and maintain their body temperature from the surrounding air / ambient temperature

redfoots belong to the thermo conformer species

in addition many species use both methods getting warmth from the surrounding air etc and boosting this by basking

in saying this some of my reds do seem to enjoy stretching out under the heat/light lamp
others are happy peeping out from the plant shelters

with regards to the uv i compromise with about 5 hours uv and the rest of the time a ceramic heater
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #14
alicia
Adult

by arguing against yourself, i mean like. you said
Quote:
Quote:
Also the night temps are too low for a redfoot. They shouldn't be lower than 70F!

I'm sorry, but that's not true at all! Not for an adult. They can happily go down to 60F. And as I said, if she CHOOSES to be warmer at night, she could go under the blue light. She rarely chooses this even though the blue light is on 24/7.

it seems like you know what your doin already by the way your dissagreeing with poeple who are trying to give you advice.

thats what it seems like anyway!

alice

0.0.2 graeca ibera
alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:36 PM   #15
pawsplus
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice
by arguing against yourself, i mean like. you said
Quote:
Quote:
Also the night temps are too low for a redfoot. They shouldn't be lower than 70F!

I'm sorry, but that's not true at all! Not for an adult. They can happily go down to 60F. And as I said, if she CHOOSES to be warmer at night, she could go under the blue light. She rarely chooses this even though the blue light is on 24/7.
it seems like you know what your doin already by the way your dissagreeing with poeple who are trying to give you advice.

thats what it seems like anyway!
Well, that would be arguing against the other poster, not against myself, LOL.

I'm not going to agree w/ something that I consider inaccurate--would you? Redfoots are fine down to 60F. In fact, the very well-known farm in FL from whence Beasley came only brings their adults inside a few times a year, and they regularly are out in nighttime temps down to 50 and lower. As long as they are not MAINTAINED at low temps, they are just fine. I will put Beasley out in the a.m. if it's 45F AS LONG AS it's going to go up to 75F or above (and therefore warmer in her cold frame) during the day (not uncommon here). I would not put her out if it were 60F but only going up to 70F (like today).
Old 01-11-2007, 07:38 PM   #16
pawsplus
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda
with regards to the uv i compromise with about 5 hours uv and the rest of the time a ceramic heater
Yeah, I might do that. I think I'll get a compact fluorescent and try that. The mercury vapor lamps are just too bright and there is no way for her to avoid it (hard for ME to avoid it, LOL). I'll put the compact on a different timer.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #17
alicia
Adult

ok, but your asking for advice your not goin to take???????

so whats the point in even asking!

0.0.2 graeca ibera
Old 01-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #18
pawsplus
Hatched

[quote="alice"]ok, but your asking for advice your not goin to take???????

so whats the point in even asking![/quote
No, I'm not going to take WRONG advice. I appreciated the suggestion to reduce the amount of time the UVB light is on. The other poster didn't even bother reading my original post completely and I'm not convinced he/she even knows what he/she is talking about. Do you just automatically agree w/ everything you see??

I'd love to hear from someone whose opinion I do trust here -- PIGLET???

edited by linda to remove swearing
Old 01-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #19
alicia
Adult

im just saying, you post are just way to agressive to the other members that are helping you if u agree OR!! DISSAGREE WITH IT!
.. if your gonna be likt that forget it!

edited to remove quoted swearing and swearing response

0.0.2 graeca ibera
Old 01-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #20
pawsplus
Hatched

LOL! Check out my other posts, huh? I've never gotten snarky w/ anyone before, so look to thyself! I've been a member here a lot longer than either you or the person w/ whom I was disagreeing, and you don't even have a RF -- so I'm not really sure why you're responding in the first place????