Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 31-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
JustAnja
Incubating

Send a message via AIM to JustAnja Send a message via Yahoo to JustAnja

As requested, a few venomous pics

Atheris squamigera (Variable Bush Viper)

Atheris cerataphora (Mountain Horned Viper)

Naja naja ssp (Black Pakistan Cobra)

Ophiophagus hannah (Indonesian King Cobra)

Crotalus basiliscus (Mexican Westcoast Rattlesnake)

More pics can be seen at www.crotalusco.com
JustAnja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #2
carriemags
Hatched

Wow! Amazing photos! Your snakes look wonderful - must take alot of special care.

We keep lots of chickens and always seem to have more cockerels than hens

Carrie
carriemags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #3
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

i emnat to comment on ur torts ealier but forgot to. they look really great but ur snakes take the biscut for me.

can't wait until i am 18 and have my DWA. wud love to work with some of these animals, espeically Atheris cerataphora, these are one of my favourites.

wud love to own Pigmy Rattlesnake (Sistrurus miliarius), gaboon viper (Bitis gabonica) and also cottonmouths (Agkistrodon piscivorus). wud also one day like to have spectacled caimans (Caiman crocodilus) but i wud require a massive enclousre for one of these buetys.

i only keep non-venomous snakes apart from the rearer fanged hoggies.

ur one lucky person to own those torts and snakes.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 11:08 PM   #4
JustAnja
Incubating

Thanks a bunch, since you like Cottonmouths you might like this one we produced this year. He is hypomelanistic. This is him with a normal colored littermate.

Old 31-10-2007, 11:37 PM   #5
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

thank u sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooo much u have made my day. altho i am now angery that u own soem and i don't.

they look stunning, u caan really see the difference in the phases . i love the bright tip on the end of there tail. correct me if i am wrong but ani't the bright tip used to lure in prey, as i thought when they get older they lose the colouring of the tail.

is that the Western type as they both look too bright to be eastern and too dark to be the Florida speices.

how much wud you get if you sold them.

stunning pics.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #6
JustAnja
Incubating

You are correct, the bright yellow tip on the tail is used for luring prey. Its called a caudal lure. You are also correct, that is a Western Cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorus leucostoma).

We have been offered $2500 for that baby, we have no intentions of selling. He will be bred back to his mother and a sister or two. There were 4 others in the litter, all normal colored.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #7
nina
Adult

Hi Anja and welcome to SW!

Where in Wisconsin are you (I spent five years in Madison in the mid- to late 1960s, and it's a beautiful state).

I've been looking at the great links in your posting, and I wonder if you could answer a couple of questions? The Crotalus site is really interesting. I've got a corn snake that I bought from a breeder when he was three weeks old in August 1988 (he was 19 this year). We were told he was a Carolina corn snake (Elaphe guttata guttata). I notice that the corn snakes in your Projects section are Pantherophis guttata. Is this a different species or just a re-classification? Also, can you tell me, on average, how long corn snakes live?

I love the Pepper Center site! I try my best to grow chillies here in the UK, but with our cool and rainy summers (we actually didn't have a summer here this year - four days of temps in the mid 70s in April and then four days in the mid 70s in September, and a lot of rain in between), and without a greenhouse, it isn't easy <g>. I've just joined the Peppers forum, but I wondered if the seed swap is international. I know that there are restrictions on sending some things abroad - live plants, etc., but don't know if this applies to seeds.

Sorry to load you down with questions when you've only just joined!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #8
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

JustAnja, thanks they are lovely, $2500 is a nice price but i cud undertsna du not wnating to let him go. as u soon a si get my DWA i hope to have a few Agkistrodon piscivorus leucostoma. so wathc ya back

how u ahve success with the breeding altho i don't do inbreeding with my reptiles...just a moral i have but either way u will have stunning babies off them.

nina, what chillies are u trying to grow, had 3 lvolely bunchs this year (pcitres in the gernal chat section) but they were grow in a green hosue with a heater in.....is that cheating

plus i no this ani't my question but anyway....corb snakes average life is about 20 years, altho longer is possiable if there not to stressed and such (e.g. breeding, rough handling) i think the longest on recor din captivity is 32 years.

if i am correct in thinking it is just a phase diffence as both are Colubrids but Pantherophis guttatus refers to the red rat snake.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #9
linda
Adult

anja beautiful snakes

excellent pictures
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #10
JustAnja
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina
Hi Anja and welcome to SW!

Where in Wisconsin are you (I spent five years in Madison in the mid- to late 1960s, and it's a beautiful state).

I've been looking at the great links in your posting, and I wonder if you could answer a couple of questions? The Crotalus site is really interesting. I've got a corn snake that I bought from a breeder when he was three weeks old in August 1988 (he was 19 this year). We were told he was a Carolina corn snake (Elaphe guttata guttata). I notice that the corn snakes in your Projects section are Pantherophis guttata. Is this a different species or just a re-classification? Also, can you tell me, on average, how long corn snakes live?

I love the Pepper Center site! I try my best to grow chillies here in the UK, but with our cool and rainy summers (we actually didn't have a summer here this year - four days of temps in the mid 70s in April and then four days in the mid 70s in September, and a lot of rain in between), and without a greenhouse, it isn't easy <g>. I've just joined the Peppers forum, but I wondered if the seed swap is international. I know that there are restrictions on sending some things abroad - live plants, etc., but don't know if this applies to seeds.

Sorry to load you down with questions when you've only just joined!
Hi Nina!

We live near Fond du lac which is NW about 2 hours from Madison. I just moved up here in April of this year so this will be my first northern winter. *brrr*

All north american corn and rat snakes have been re-classified into Pantherophus. I hate it. I hate them changing all these names up but what can you do.

The Pepper Center site is my partner Dan's baby. He is the pepper head in the family, although I am learning. I never would even try peppers until we got together,. Im also learning to cook with peppers ALLOT. He has close to 100 types of seeds and I know he does allot of seed swapping. (Im learning all about seed swapping with my heirloom tomatoes and lots of varieties of Sunflowers) I will ask him about swapping seeds over seas. He would know better than I. The sites forums were active until he had some problems with his hosting people and ended up moving them to another board. Hopefully he can get them back to being active once again this winter when he has time to really promote the forums. Feel free to post over there.

Thanks everyone for their kind words.