Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 01-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
Wendy
Hatched

Default incubators

Hi I'm currently using a homemade incubator which is now full I'm concerned that if my girls lay more eggs that I will have no where to incubate them. What incubators do you guys recommend I'm thinking of buying one rather than making another.

Thanks in advance

Wendy
Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
emmajh
Hatched

I have a hovabator (the one that doesn't rotate the eggs). Ive got two tubs in there with 13 eggs in and another tub for water and still lots of space. Took me a while to get used to adjusting the temps but its all good now. If i had to buy a new one id prob get a Herp 2 nursery incubator
emmajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

I used a herp nursery II successfully last year. I was after a hovabator but couldn't get one on time. The herp nursery did a great job though and was easy to set up and monitor.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
alley cat
Adult

If space is likely to be an ongoing problem for you maybe you could use something bigger? I bought a really nice wine fridge with a glass door second hand for £40 then just added a small tubular heater connected to a Habistat Themostat, seems to be working well at the moment
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #5
Wanda
Hatched

I used a hovabator last year and had three hatchlings from three eggs. Lots of room but I did find that keeping the humidity levels constant was a bit of a trial. This year I treated myself to the herp nursery II and am very impressed. Not as much room as the hovabator but once I found the right shelf and temperature setting I haven't had to do anything else. I have a plastic container with a sponge underneath and I have not had to top it up once. Temp and humidity are very constant. I don't trust the built in temp gauge but have two probe thermometers and a hydrometer set up by the eggs.
Fingers crossed I will have 3/3 again this year!
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
I used a hovabator last year and had three hatchlings from three eggs. Lots of room but I did find that keeping the humidity levels constant was a bit of a trial. This year I treated myself to the herp nursery II and am very impressed. Not as much room as the hovabator but once I found the right shelf and temperature setting I haven't had to do anything else. I have a plastic container with a sponge underneath and I have not had to top it up once. Temp and humidity are very constant. I don't trust the built in temp gauge but have two probe thermometers and a hydrometer set up by the eggs.
Fingers crossed I will have 3/3 again this year!
Yes I used a separate hydrometer and thermometer too with mine.
Good luck with your eggs.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:21 AM   #7
Wanda
Hatched

Thanks Emma! They are on day 16 and looking nice and veiny �� I also have my other female going crazy! For four days she has been up first and to bed last and has literally been climbing the walls and rampaging everywhere destroying everything in her path. She has upended herself a fair few times. Very out of character for her so I suspect she may be gravid. No sign of digging or sniffing yet though.
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:30 AM   #8
burnt toast
Adult

I have a hero nursery 2 which I also brought an extra shelf for. Great results, in fact all my hatching have come from this incubator. But space is limited if you have several females. (I also use mine to hibernation, so it's awkward if someone decides to lay!) Hence I brought hovabator which is great lots of space although I don't find the temperature adjuster easy. After running out of space again I have got a german one which looks similar of the incubator but is a simple press button temp adjustment. This was from Amazon and I can't comment yet as not set up.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #9
HeidiBoo
Egg

How did you make your homemade incubator please?
HeidiBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
Wendy
Hatched

I used a polystyrene box with a heat mat and thermostat. Made holes in the lid of the box put a wire rack in the bottom and put the water container and eggs on horticulture on the rack. I also use a hydrometer and electronic thermometer
Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote