Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 23-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #21
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnip View Post
If you were a bit closer i would come and sort them out for you prob loose your job but by the sounds of it it would be worth it
Awe thanks G!! My sister said something along those lines.

No the policy where I work is another member of staff or union representative...

But if she takes it to disciplinary again I may well point out I never saw her during the two weeks and so I wasn't getting any support to improve, and some of the things she has said to me...
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
becciwales
Adult

They can't treat you like this!! Join the union and keep a diary of everything that happens. Also write a retrospective timeline. I'd say lay the bullying on s bit thick but I don't think you need to!!! I know how you feel, I'm going through some crap with work also. It gets you down doesn't it? My philosophy is that no matter what they do they won't break me!! Chin up!! xxx
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #23
Suze65
Adult

Hi Merl, I don't see how an employer can get away with treating anyone this way, who is suffering from depression or any other illness, it seems to me she needs to be worried for treating you unfairly. I don't know the ins and outs of employment law like some of the others do, but seems to me that she is very much in the wrong. She's a bully , and that's not allowed in the work place, I suppose you have to be able to prove it. Good luck, you have bucket loads of support here. Xxxxxx

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #24
Merlin M
Adult

Thanks I really appreciate all the support from all of you! It really helps!!
Old 23-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #25
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Have you thought of starting up your own business?
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #26
pagan queen
Adult

Could you record your encounters with her on your mobile? Hide it in your pocket and start recording before you talk to her. You may get some good evidence.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #27
Lisamn
Hatchling

I'm not entirely clear on what she is stating are the problems with your work (beyond not buying milk and drinking a cup of water on a hot day, which are issues that would, frankly, be laughed out of any kind of formal disciplinary meeting!) What exactly has she said are the areas you need to be improving on and what guidelines has she given you to support you in doing so? Join a union ASAP and BTW, it is illegal to record someone without their permission, so I wouldn't get taffled up in doing that, but having a second person present as support for you/a witness (and a union rep is the ideal if possible) at any further meetings with her is highly advisable. X
Lisamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #28
Merlin M
Adult

Largely I guess its that my performance has not been up to standard (an actual point in the disciplinary was that I had missed cleaning the top of some sash Windows the only job that got missed and that was an acceptable, I had forgotten to change the hoover bag, and the fact that the last job I did was a lot of hovering and I finished half an hour late was not an excuse, that I hadn't changed mop heads when I had but they had then been used...) and a big thing with me not improving enough is that I wasn't taking my checklist (which I hate the fact I was just presented with) round with me but checking stuff off when I go back down stairs, even though after pretty much every job I go right downstairs to change equipment otherwise its jobs getting done simultaneously so it didn't really make any difference...
Old 24-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #29
Neddy
Sub Adult

Gonna spin a different angle on this, from my head and not my heart. I hope this doesn't get me on the hated list....

When a performance issue arises it normally isn't a one off. This should have been discussed in a one - to -one meeting (even a chat if you like could have been arranged or just a quick chat in passing). The whole point of a disciplinary hearing is so you can discuss the matter in hand, you should have been given a letter inviting you to the disciplianry hearing and it might have said you can take an employee or a member of a union with you (or this might be in your staff hand book). The point of the additional person is to simply be a witness to the meeting they are not allowed to participate in the actual meeting.

The conversaion should have been why you were there, the points (evidence/examples) of why you were there and then an opportunity for you too explain. Once this has concluded the person(s) holding the meeting should have adjourned and then made a discussion. And by the sounds of it they did....and put something in place to help you....i.e. the checklist.

If I were to put someone on a first written warning for missing out jobs I would have also given a checklist and would have expected them to be extra vigilant and dedicated to ensuring it was noticed and that the said person was making the effort to ensure nothing was missed.

It isn't easy or nice going through a disciplinary hearing - I have been on the recieving end and done them so can certainly see both sides but it isnt unfair to take someone to a disciplinary if it's necessary.

I am not saying what the company is doing is right or wrong as you can't really cast a full opinion without knowing all the facts. All I know is that I have worked for quite a few companies and most avoid disciplinaries where possible due to the effort, time and the effect they have on individuals perhaps that is food for thought.

At the end of the day a company is well within it's rights to take a Member of staff to disciplinary and to be honest that is the right way, as it protects them from this.

You can either get upset about it and waste the energy on being upset or pick yourself up, dust yourself off and use the energy to prove that you are more than capable of doing the job.....

I hope you pick the latter Merlin because nothing feels better then a 'I told you so'.

My apologies if this comes across blunt or mean that certainly isn't my intention, I have been watching this thread and thought the fence was the best place to stay.

I hope this gets sorted Merlin.
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 06:14 AM   #30
Merlin M
Adult

No I agree with you, I have had the checklist from before the disciplinary, it was written by another member of staff, my real problem with it really is that my boss can't see that it is not possible to do all the tasks everyday, mostly for the hour after the property opens and I clean the staff areas, I have an hour to do what is at least half an hours worth of stuff, and quite frankly some of it does not need done every day (like dusting fire extinguishers which is a once a week job in the museum area, so it just doesn't make sense!).
I did try and brush it of and get everything done, but this wasn't possible for a few reasons, like being given other jobs in that time, I even stopped taking my break to get more done, but it doesn't matter the reason I am still at fault. I should have told the property manager I couldn't do stuff because I was doing something she asked me to? I am sorry but it is rather obvious if I am having to do something else I cannot get everything done! She knew I was doing it and I did tell her it was taking a long time!

It has been a hard week, feeling really low and really don't feel like doing anything, but I still make every effort at work and get most things done.

My boss has now referred me to occupational health, and to be honest I don't see the point, I don't see how they can do any more than my Dr so it just takes time out of my day! And more frustratingly feels like I am losing control of my own problem.