Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 06-04-2007, 10:22 PM   #1
terrific tortoises
Juvenile

Default ANOTHER T.T. BARGAIN PERHAPS?!...

Ok folks, just stumbled on these mini sun tunnels from B&Q, and at just under a fiver , they really are dirt cheap too ...

They measure approx. 44 inches in length and 20 inches wide, they have wheel type air vents at each end with an open and close option. I was thinking I may have to add air holes, so I would probably heat up a metal rod and burn extra air holes in rather than try to cut, because the plastic might crack? I bought 2 of them and was thinking of using them like a small added cold frame for my baby torts. But having looked at these, they could be used in adult outdoor areas too. All you would have to do is maybe cut a big hole in the sides?. I may go back and buy some more at this price? ...oh here is a pic, see what you guys think! ...T.T. 8)

PS. Obviously by using something like this, great care should be taken on hot sunny days, (for fear of too higher temps. and possible dehydration) I will be adapting this sun tunnel, so any of my torts using it, will have plenty of air ventilation, a shaded option and my torts could easily exit this sun tunnel, at any time.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
shelley
Hatchling

Might have to nip into our new huge B&Q and see if I can get one of those for the Leopards enclosure

Mum to three Newfoundlands, two Cocker Spaniels, one German Shepherd, 9 Chinchillas, and 4 Hermann's and 2 Leopards... Tortoises that is!

http://pic2.piczo.com/GalaxybearsNewfoundlands
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:28 AM   #3
carl20
Hatchling

gud spot matey, it sounds bigger than it looks in the pic. with a bit of shade in i bet that would be great for spring time weather.

but i do think it will get too hot in the summer especially in kent, but fine on summer overcast days.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
niamherrity
Adult

I use one as a coldframe their brill.
niamherrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
Cpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley
Might have to nip into our new huge B&Q and see if I can get one of those for the Leopards enclosure
I might have to nip out to B&Q too
Old 07-04-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
nina
Adult

That was the bargain of the week, Paul! I read your posting and jumped straight into the car to go get one (halfway there I thought, 'Was it B&Q or Homebase? <g>), but I got there and bought two. They're fantastic bargains for £4.99. My only question is about the four little metal pegs - there aren't any holes in the plastic, so are you supposed to burn holes in order to peg them into the soil?
Old 07-04-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
niamherrity
Adult

Nina just push them though thats all I had to do Its hard I had a dent in my hand Twist them were you want them for a min then push
niamherrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:13 PM   #8
terrific tortoises
Juvenile

carl20, I agree mate, on real hot days it would not be needed, but on the cloudy cooler days of early spring, or autumn time, it could be great as an extra form of heat...Just to give you an idea of its size, I bathed/hydrated my young torts today (they were only in it for about 15 minutes), their ages are between 7 and 31 months old, here is the pic ...

nina, Glad you thought it was also a bargain (I forgot to mention about the metal pegs ) As niamherrity has said, just push them through the base were you want to, or you could try and heat them up and melt them through (I would make sure you wear suitable gloves doing this though !) I havent got around to using the pegs myself, I am thinking about maybe making up a wooden frame and somehow attaching the sun tunnels to it, as part of an enclosure?...T.T. 8)
Old 07-04-2007, 11:16 PM   #9
tortoise_dude

god thats massive! bet your torts enjoyed it!
Old 07-04-2007, 11:23 PM   #10
terrific tortoises
Juvenile

tortoise_dude, Well it is close to 4 feet in length , I also measured the temp. in there, it went up to 110 degrees F ....What I also liked was the security it gave them, there are many large birds flying around, and because I have to bath/hydrate a few torts at a time (and I also like to do this outside too) if I was distracted, I knew they would be safe in there ...T.T. 8)