Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2008, 11:27 PM   #1
JayB
Incubating

Default Help!

Hey! Well, I need as much advise as possible, but please allow me to explain the situation im in first ;p

last year I become extremely depressed, I was being bullied all the time at school by hundreds of people, because of my sexuality.
I was removed from school and put on 3 different courses, a course where I work for free every tuesday and thursday, and a course where I do english and math work, and a course where I do ICT work at the local college.
These may all sound great, but actually I will leave school with very little education. I have been told by lots of my private education tutors that I could go very far, if I was given the opportunity too, and unfortunately I was denied that.
So now I'm the one suffering for me being bullied, however I have a very supportive family, and some supportive friends.
I want to become a care worker for disabled teenagers/children, or a care worker with the elderly.. However I'm just wondering if anyone has any advise or experience and could give me advise on how I should go about getting the right education to become a care worker.

Thank you.
1 Tort, Frank
2 GALS, Poppy, Alex.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
MiniMorris
Banned
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to MiniMorris

I don't know much about being a careworker but really well done for getting past the fact you had a hard time and getting on with your life and going after what you want to do. There are plenty of us here who are oriented the same way as you and I'm sure you aren't the only one bullied for it.

I know there are a few on here who work in the care industry or have done who will hopefully be able to help.

All the best George,

Jp
MiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #3
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi George,

Well done for doing what you are doing, it looks like you have got your head screwed on anyway, dont let yourself become the victim of the bullies after the event, if you want something bad enough you will strive to get it.

I am sorry I cant offer any advice regarding care work, but we have got a few members working in that field so I am sure they will assist you if they can.

Best wishes for your future,

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 PM   #4
alexn
Incubating

I have been thinking of going into this field of work myself, there are quite a few websites about if you do a search.
I am sorry to hear about the terrible time you had in school, hopefully you can gain from this and use your experience to help others.
You dont really need a formal eduction to be a care worker, here is an example of a advertised job I saw

Must be at least 18 years old, have good communication skills, be flexible with working hours & be a team player. Must be honest, have a caring nature, have the ability to keep calm under pressure & be discreet & reliable. NVQ 2 & experience in caring for the elderly is preferred although not essential, as NVQ training in Care will be provided. Benefits include pension scheme, life assurance & subsidised meals.

As you can see they give you the NVQ training.
Also to help you, maybe try some volunteer work, see what's going in your area. This is a good way to see if the job is really what you want to do and something good to put on your CV.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:50 PM   #5
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

Good for you, never been bullied my self so sorry u had to go through that.....at the end of the day bullies are perthetic,,,,,,it's rubbish that there the ones that get bullied really or are scared. BUut who cares about them, there will always be prats in this world...there needs to be bad so there can be good.

Plus i also think this in this world happen for a reason...not that you should have been bullied but that as a result of that it has made you a better person.....these lads are proberly gonna be claiming off benifts for all there life and have not path in life.

Any way you don't need a great deal of school education from what i beleive to do parts of caring(please no one have ago at me , am not saying anyone can do it). I know when mine nan had carers in one of the girls wa sin her ealry 20's and only had a GCSE in R.E. and P.E> and they were both D's. YOu can also become a care for family memebrs and friends so i woulf have thought that the passion is the main thing. Slthough for what you want i think it would require soem trianing.

best thing to do is call your local CONNECTIONS office and they will diffently help you out. or talk to your careers counclior at school...i spoke to mine about wanting to breed reptiles as a full time job and he gave me laod sof info about setting up bussines including tax payments,bank accounts,managing bills and such and it helped loads (also sold him 5 tree frogs aswell )

at the end of the day a GCSE and such is just abit of writing on paper as far as i am concern your better at spellings than me so most likely smarter than me
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 12:33 AM   #6
JayB
Incubating

Thank you all for your information and support!
I'll check out the local job centre for care homes to see if anyone needs a volunteer! Also, I have a connextions officer and she's helping me out a load! =)

Thank you all, and btw, your spelling is fine.. I only learnt how to spell from communicating on online adventure games ;p
1 Tort, Frank
2 GALS, Poppy, Alex.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 01:49 AM   #7
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

Hi a few years ago we had a young girl come to our unit, (I used to work in a referral Unit for disaffected teens) she had been bullied and had become a school avoider. Before leaving us, we got her into a local college to do a health care certificate, I think it was either an NVQ or a BTEC, we heard last year the same girl is now in her final year at Uni doing a social work degree. If you prove yourself and stick at the college courses, they can still give you the required points to enter university to do your professional qualifications.

Good luck
Old 13-05-2008, 07:14 AM   #8
yakface77
Hatched

Hi George,
Well done for 'sticking it out' and rising above bullying. In this modern day society there are still people who think they are living in the '40's and '50's who do not understand people being different to them. They are the social victims

About your studies, are you in the Uk or US, just wondering if you have thought of time out in the holidays to do some 'work expierience' free of charge over a week or so to see if you like this industry ???? Maybe youve already tried it out ?

Good luck with your career and best wishes
craig
1.1.2 Florida Cooter turtles
0.1.1 Red Eared Slider Turtle
0.1.0 Mississippi Map Turtle
yakface77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
linda
Adult

hi george

have you considered a ma modern apprentice

http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/wa...eanapprentice/

https://apprenticeships.broadsystem....pprentice.aspx

they do a health & social care apprentiship

http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/li...socialcare.htm

good luck with what ever you decide xx
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
Sunbeam
Incubating

George,

Sorry to hear you have had a bad time of it. You sound very sensible and I hope you find a role that suits you.

My son is special needs/disabled and we meet a lot of supporters and carers. You could try charities such as Barnardos if you want to work with young people or of course the Youth service team in your areas (both will have paid and volunteer opportunities). Someone has already mentions connexions and also try in your local paper that lists volunteering opportunities to see if you like the work and to open doors for you.

Most settings will introduce training as part of the job and some will also include going to college but I am sure there are stand alone courses at college you can do so may be go along to an open evening and find out.

Good Luck

K x
Sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote