Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 07-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior
Default Gabbie

This is gabbie, my leopard gecko. she is about 8-9 years old. she is also completey blind and is unable to find food on her own and has tobe hand fed. altho she will open her mouth and let me just spray water in it. i have had her for about 5 years.

i saw on the internet that a man in wigan was selling a few adult female leos and so i e-mailed him to say i was interested in buying one off him. i already had female leos and such but i wanted to increase the amount i had and as i was only 12 i had saved up all my money to get one. after begging my dad to take me to wigan. we got there and went to the house. the guy was in his late 20's. he wanted £30 for the female and then he went to go get the ledest one.
he came back in to the room we were waiting in with gabbie and i held her and noticed that there was stuff crumbling in her eyes and that her eyes weren't even present. she was in a state and she smelt. i asked him if i cud have alook at the other females he had. he lead me and my dad upstaris to his room to show me the other 2 female leos. the leos were kept in a mesh cage with uv lighting from off a sunbed with polistyring for subtrate. he had 2 chams in a chipmonk cage with 2 engery saving bulbs. a iggy in a rabbit hutch next to his radiator with a whole apple for it's meal and he had tree frogs in the same tank as is cold water fish.

i felt quite sad and i looked deep into my pockets for more money but only had my £30. the man said the other 2 are £40 each. i cud neve rhad afforded that when i was 12. then my dad looked at me and just said"come on son were having the 3 geckos". my dad does like animals but doe snot like pets, he can't see the reason for keeping naimals but even he knew if we did not have them then they wud not last long. of course we cud not have taken the other animals as we wud not have had the room but i felt we had saved to 3 animals that day.

the other 2 geckos aren't blind but are lacking there toes, it is just a shame that gabbie is blind and has to be hosued on her own now because she gets bullied by the others.

also she hates large areas and they stress he rout. she likes places that she can walk around and feel her area. i do try to handlle her for at least 1 hour aday as she loves it.

pics aren't the best but if u look carefully u will notice that her pupils are burned out.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Toni115
Adult

She's lovely Christian, thank goodness you took her when you did, who knows what would have happened to her
Old 07-11-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
DAISY
Adult

Shes lovely Christian. Well done for rescuing her. I know exactly how you feel. One of my chipmunks was an impulse buy which is rare for me. She was in a pet shop in a cage with 5 males. Had no ear flaps, her claws hanging off and I just had to have her. She will never be as pretty as my others, but is a picture of health now and beautiful to me.

Rach

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:12 PM   #4
Lyn
Adult

Bless her heart. Thank god she has you.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:59 PM   #5
carriemags
Hatched

Well done you Christian, she looks so pretty. Do you think it was bad husbandry that caused her eye problems?

Carrie
carriemags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

leopard geckos are nocturnal lizards and so never come out in daylight in the wild and so in captivty u don't need to have lighting in there enclousre. these had uv lighting which is bad but the uv lighting was froma sunbed which is more than 5 times stronger than the reconmended amount for a lizard that wud need uv. the esposure to such strong lighting burnt out her eyes and she can't actually close her eye lids either.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
linda
Adult

im so glad you were able to rescue her from these poor conditions
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
terrypin
Adult

hi this just shows what can happen when people keep animals without researching first to find what thier requirements are as to general husbandry and environment, she is very lucky that you found her well done for improving her quality of life.

terry
Old 08-11-2007, 04:40 PM   #9
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

cheers everyone,,,,,she seems fine now and has had 6 babies since having her a si thought a male might give her abit mor einteraction but she was not to pleased with it so after she laid her gets (in the waterbowl) i decided to keep he ron her own. i just wishe di cud have doen more for the other reps. i will have to post some pics some time of me conducting one of my anima talks. as i hope these talks will help the future genertaion to look after aniamls better.