Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 21-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by amony View Post
Ah thank you very much. Im glad the likely cuase for his lazyness is just something small >.<

ive only had him for a few days been hes qiuckly become my happy place even if it is just watching him sleep, tortoise storyies always make me chuckle no matter the kind XD

I was wondering if you could give me an opinion on dryed flowers.
Also could you surrgest and good books to buy for id'ing weeds and flowers i live next door to woods you see, its hard going remembering what all the edible ones look like xD
You can get a free downloadable booklet on weeds from www.tortoises.net
Fresh flowers and weeds are far better for your tortoise:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
amony
Egg

I was just wondering how often do horsefields eat and how often do they pewp for lack of a better word.

its just hes been sleeping for the whole day with no montion to food and hes not been to le loo since ive had him home
amony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
Catwoman63
Adult

my horsfields go pewp everyday, but i have had them a long time, mine are right pigs and will eat and eat till theres nothing left! on the odd occasion though some have taken time out and not eaten for a few days or a week but will soon get back to their piggy selves lol, however my males dont eat as much as my females do anyway, youve not had him long and some do take a bit of time to settle in, they will need to be warm enough to "get going" and stimulate them to eat, so maybe check your temperatures again xxx

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
Catwoman63
Adult

thinking about it, you may need to up the temperatures a little to basking 34c and cool end 24-25c see if that makes a difference, lots of warm baths normally stimulates pewing and pweeing and eating, sometimes petshop bought tortoises have high worm counts or may have an underlying illness which you will need to look out for.

The 2 i purchased from petshops had very high worm burdens, so may be worth checking that out x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #15
amony
Egg

Hehe well he done a pewp today in his bath, he looked rather proud

Hes sittin out in his baskin light which is a chance fomr him hiding away.

hes still turning down his food sadly, but hes gettin there :]
amony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #16
LonesomeGeorge
Hatched

Quote:
Hey there, ive recently gotten a little horsefield tortoise.
Only the he/she hasnt been eating much and he just likes to hide away and sleep

Ive been feeding him weeds and such and the temps of the tank are 30c in his wee home and about 20c else where

Using a UVB light and a basking light and the subtrate ive been using is straw pellets (thats what i think it is, there was no lable on the bag the shop keeper asured me it was suitible tho)

Im worried hes many ill. ive checked for runny noes and other signs but everything seems fine.

been handling him as little as possible to let him settle in. apart from ploping him in a bath :3
Ive also been told he might just be getting ready to hibernate

Any help would be nothing short of amazing i want to give him the best care possible.

ive only have him for little over 4 days!

sorry for the long post >.<

p.s i say he but the pet shop said the little one was to young to tell : D
Hello!

The recommended substrate is topsoil and playsand. Horsefields' like to burrow, so the topsoil offers a realistic environment.

Hope this helped
LonesomeGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #17
clevency
Egg

Default Horsfield book & info

Quote:
Ah thank you very much. Im glad the likely cuase for his lazyness is just something small >.<

ive only had him for a few days been hes qiuckly become my happy place even if it is just watching him sleep, tortoise storyies always make me chuckle no matter the kind XD

I was wondering if you could give me an opinion on dryed flowers.
Also could you surrgest and good books to buy for id'ing weeds and flowers i live next door to woods you see, its hard going remembering what all the edible ones look like xD
Well done for seeking help ... try and collect a library of articles and books on your pet as everyone has a slightly different approach e.g http://www.tortoiseclub.org/caresheets.php has a horsfield sheet you might find helpful. There is also a beginners guide to keeping a hatchling med (a lot of the principle will apply to a baby horsfield)

Few thoughts that spring to mind .... Bathing several times a week for 20 min in luke warm water willl keep fluid levels up. Make sure water is deep enough for tortoise to dip it's nose and mouth under the water to drink properly.

keep weekly weight of your tortoise in 1g accurancy to help you build a picture of progress.

Allow your horsfield to go down to room temp at night time.

Don't worry if your tortoise does not eat every day. You can leave dried dandelion, plantain and flowers for nibbles?

In summer ensure a super super secure outdoor space ... concrete slabs on end work well with a buried thick plastic mesh base 1 ft down is a good start.

good luck
clevency is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not eating, sleeping alot, tortoise