Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 21-01-2015, 11:34 PM   #1
Kjoyce
Egg

Default Can I travel with my tortoise?

Hi,
I have a Hermans tortoise. I go away every other weekend. My parents are happy to look after Herman but I wondered if there was a way he could come with me? Some sort of portable housing?
There probably isn't but I thought if anyone would know it would be someone on here.
Kjoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 12:28 AM   #2
veggie86
Incubating

Mine has travelled a few times when I visit my parents (6 hour journey). I take his table and lights etc for him to live in so it's no different from being at home. In the car he travels in a shoe box with some soil. He's never had a problem with it, carries on eating and being active when we're away (no signs of stress).

If your usual table isn't practical to take you could always use a smaller 'holiday' table if you're only away for weekends?

1 husband, 5 dogs, 1 cat.....and Iberas Pickles, Poppy and Pip
veggie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
mark r
Hatched

we used to do it every year, ours have been to Cornwall many times (7 hour journey towing caravan) they used to be in the back of my van in a plastic tub (the large underbed type) they loved a bit of Cornish sunshine.

we used to set a bulb up over the tub wired to one of the 12v to 240 volt inverters.
mark r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
Pussygalore
Adult

if you have a car then no probs simply make a table that will fit in the car and take it with you, the other option is if you go to the same place then ask if they will allow you to leave a table there. The actual travelling for a tort isn't a prob most will sleep if in a dark box with bedding and the car isn't to warm otherwise they will wander around in a table and will be fine without lights etc while travelling. I took all my hatchlings to show my parents in a plastic tub and took a ordinary bulb in a clamp on holder to keep them warm while we were there, they don't need uv for a day or so.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote