Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 12-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Kralphimus
Egg

Default Puffy Horsefield Eyes

Hi Guys,

Has anyone experienced this before-

My Horsefield, Eddy, sometimes has puffy eyes. It sometimes goes for a month or so where i don't notice it happening, but sometimes it can happen once a day for a couple of days.
Basically, he'll be eating something, and then stop. His eyes puff up and close. It's strange because it doesn't last long, (3 minutes max i would say), and if i pick him up while they're swelling then he sticks his neck out like they do when inquisitive, and his eyes go normal! While his eyes are swollen he doesn't move and sticks his head inside his shell.
It's a bit weird. I haven't tried treating it with anything as i don't want to make it worse. It's been happening for a while now. Other than this he's a happy fella i think.

Any experience or ideas as to what this is??

~thanks in advance,

Kralphimus
Kralphimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

I think what your describing is "cherry eye" it happens while they are eating, caused by the tort holding his breath & its a stress reaction. My male Sid does it, he used to do it a great deal but its getting less now, I dont know what stress's him - or if maybe hes just very shy?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eyes, puffy, tortoise