Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 28-10-2009, 02:29 AM   #1
chris_d
Egg

Default Dandelions..

Anybody know if you can buy pots of dandelions, I know it sounds silly because there just weeds but I am struggling to find any in my gardens and I have tried to grow them but nothing ever happens! Growing quick seed mix for med tortoise is fine but the dandelions just don't seem to be growing!
chris_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

I don't think you can buy them but you could try transplanting the whole plant if you can get it with soil still around the roots and without disturbing it to much. Theres not that many about this time of year but come next spring there'll be plenty, go for a drive/walk with a bag and trowel or maybe theres some in a neibours garden I'm sure if you ask nicely they won't mind.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Dawn Fletcher
Banned
Sub Adult

when you transpalnt any weeds into your garden or pots be sure to take away as much of the leaves as possible so that the goodness goes baack into the roots, because if you don't do this the leaves will just go limp and you risk loosing the plant altogether. By chopping the majority of green above it makes the plant recover faster from its move and therefore it will survive better in its new area.

Dawn
Dawn Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
Dawn Fletcher
Banned
Sub Adult

I have transpalnted loads of plantain and dandelions over the summer months this way and they are all still alive now.......granted I have a cold frame over them now to help protect from frost but they are still growing strong.

Dawn
Old 28-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
helen1
Sub Adult

Since I started to use megaray, I have transplanted them straight into the tables for the winter months and sowthistle, dandelion and plantain grow very well indeed...as well as pansies.
Old 28-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Do they not just dry up helen?
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
chris_d
Egg

hmm...so I will have to go on a hunt for them then, I did plant some seeds in my tort table as I have a mega ray too however Harry just eat them straight away before they had chance to fully grow lol
chris_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Dandellions are ideal for digging up and transplanting. Its also possible to cut the root up into bits and once planted each piece will grow leaves and in time a whole plant. Dandellions continue to grow but only when its warm enough. So into November and beyond we don't get a lot of leaf growth until March or so. Dandellion seeds have to be at just the right temperature to germinate and personally I think growing them from seed is a waste of time when most people want rid of the plants from their gardens.

I've not had much sucess at all with plants on tables indoors, due to the heat and the plant being constantly being trashed by tortoises (on top of them constantly eating it as well) so I don't bother much indoors.
Old 29-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
Jillyp
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Fletcher View Post
when you transpalnt any weeds into your garden or pots be sure to take away as much of the leaves as possible so that the goodness goes baack into the roots, because if you don't do this the leaves will just go limp and you risk loosing the plant altogether. By chopping the majority of green above it makes the plant recover faster from its move and therefore it will survive better in its new area.

Dawn
So that's where I go wrong.. .thanks muchly.
Old 29-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #10
Dawn Fletcher
Banned
Sub Adult

your very welcome.

hope it helps

Dawn