Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 04-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
sammkins
Hatched

Default one of my torts is sleeping and digging down more, should i hibernate?

I just wondered if they naturally try and hibernate even when there temps are the same all year round, they all have their heat lamps and uv lights on, but 1 especially seems alot more sleepy and i hardly see him for food, he is also very hard to find as he digs right down in his enclosure - he is well and been wormed etc so i dont have any worrys about his health.

I just didnt know if instead of hibernating they would be ok to sleep for days on end without surficing for food etc? a bit more like in a coma- i think its called brumpton or something like that. As i dont feel confident enough to hibernate this year as he is only 18 months old? and i have 5 others that range from 2 to 4 and they are still active and eating.
1 Siamese Kitten
6 Horsfield Torts
6 Baby Sulcatas
1 rabbit
2 Aylesbury Ducks

Hubbys list:
20 bearded Dragons
1 Blue tongue Skink
7 Chameleons
House Gheckos

and the list goes on!
sammkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi! Please can you say what species of tortoise you are keeping?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
sammkins
Hatched

oops sorry horsfields
1 Siamese Kitten
6 Horsfield Torts
6 Baby Sulcatas
1 rabbit
2 Aylesbury Ducks

Hubbys list:
20 bearded Dragons
1 Blue tongue Skink
7 Chameleons
House Gheckos

and the list goes on!
Old 04-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
Harri Hughes
Egg

Talking

Hi Sammkins
Just wanted to say that my horsefield is exactly the same! He only seems to eat when I hand feed him and sleeps most of the day - he does get a little active after a bath but that is it. I was not planning to hibernate either as just moved house.

Any advice would be great and really appreciated.
Thanx
Old 05-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
burnt toast
Adult

Smile

Hi
I dont have a horsefield but I have noticed a lot of people on here having trouble keeping them awake lately. I have a marginated & last year she started doing exactly what you describe. As the days got shorter & colder she began to bury herself & stay asleep for days & days it didnt seem to hurt her, sometimes 3 or 4 days. Id get her up, bath her & she'd bury again.

I was in fact advised to eventually wind her down & hibernate her as that was what she wanted (I knew she was fit/healthy) so thats what I did & she was fine, she was 18 months & about 90 odd grams. (the same tort has been now trying to wind down for the last 3/4weeks where as my Hermans show no signs of slowing, perhaps some species are just more tuned into the seasons, or maybe once they have done it once before they just know what to do)

The only potential problem I could see is gases inside them building up - which is why you wind them down, to empty them & eliminate this potential problem.

Im sure an expert will be along soon to advise you.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
martynh99
Egg

We've got two horsefields both about 3 years old.

Last year one of them slept through most of winter - the other wide awake throughout and active.

Same is happening now, sleeping most of day. We put her under heatlamp first thing in morning and she stays there for about an hour then just buries down again. Wakes up for a bath and will eat but only when handfed - not really comfortable hibernating her though so will just persevere with baths and keeping temps good.
martynh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
Beverley
Adult

Tortoises have been hibernating for thousands of years so its in there nature to want to hibernate, especially horsfields who in some areas are only really active for about 3 months in the year.
My horsfields are still pretty active and eating well, but the Hermanns are really quiet and have been difficult to keep active since the beginning of September. If you are not confident about hibernation, then keep up good light levels and up the temps a a couple of degrees.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I would keep bathing him, to make sure he's well hydrated, and regular weight checks to make sure he's not losing weight. When they're actually hibernating,( not sleeping) everything slows down so much they lose hardly any weight. I'm not sure how the weight loss thing would be if he was just sleeping, not hibernating.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
sammkins
Hatched

So would you say it would be ok for him to sleep for a few days and just keep bathing him every few days and put him under the heat lamp, even though i know he will just go back to digging underground. Or do you think i should try and hibernate him?

I will weigh him too to make sure he doesnt lose weight.

Hmmm what to do......... what to do!!!

Thanks for your replies by the way
1 Siamese Kitten
6 Horsfield Torts
6 Baby Sulcatas
1 rabbit
2 Aylesbury Ducks

Hubbys list:
20 bearded Dragons
1 Blue tongue Skink
7 Chameleons
House Gheckos

and the list goes on!
Old 07-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

If it were me and I was confident he was healthy then i would do a shortish hibernation. It does sound like that's what he's wanting to do