Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 23-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
madness
Incubating

Red face kittens

hi we have 2 horsefield torts and have had them a year.we have recently bought a kitten and i just wondered would a cat go for a tort or are they safe out at the same time.i know dogs can attack but im not sure about cats.at the mo they havnt even seen each other,should i introduce them now or when the cat is older.id love any advice from other owners in the same boat.xx
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
swad1000
Adult

My cats seem fascinated by the tortoises, to this end we fitted a mesh top to there table to make sure the didn't come together.

I'm not sure how cats would react to the tortoises, but I would trust a cat a lot less than my dogs.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Sylvia1
Adult

My torts are protected from both my dogs and cats inside & outside. I wouldn't risk it.

3 hermanns, 2 leopards, 2 german shepherds, 5 cats, 3 tropical tanks
Sylvia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
ingisim
Hatched

My baby Hermann, Herbie, is in a second-hand indoor rabbit cage, to protect her from my two cats.

There's an inch high gap where the plastic tray attaches to the cage part on the top - a couple of weeks ago I found my big softy male cat who's never gone for, let alone caught, anything in his life, 'fishing' for Herbie with his paw through this gap!

Needless to say, I sealed the gap up immediately with masking tape. But it goes to show that you can't be too careful, even with a pet you think would be completely harmless.

Two kids, two cats - Herbie Hermann arrived 28th October 2008

Last edited by ingisim; 23-11-2008 at 07:33 PM.
ingisim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
karibum
Egg

Maybe depends on the cat! My torts have a mesh lid on their enclosure because of the cat, but to be honest, it's never down, the cat has a look but as soon as one of the torts move , he scampers!! It's the same with the hamster, cat runs away from her as well!

karibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
sarah
Administrator
Adult

I would not risk it to be honest.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
madness
Incubating

Unhappy

ok no need to panic.i was only asking out of curiosity.they are in an indoor rabbit cage and their outdoor enlosure is completely covered with a mesh top..just wondered that if it safe when should they be introduced.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
helen1
Sub Adult

I have always had cats and tortoises...some of my cats sleep in the tortoise cold frames....they show no interest in the tortoises...big or small...apart from wanting to share their sleeping quarters.
Kittens.....I have had kittens and big torts...but not kittens and baby tortoises....
Old 25-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
ingisim
Hatched

Now this http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EFzSN92N4R8 shows how an adult tortoise can defend itself quite readily; however, I would never suggest that it is safe to put a cat and tortoise together, especially if the tortoise is young. I guess it's meant to be funny, but really both animals are pretty stressed out by their encounter.

Look at the way the cat bites the tortoise's head! Man, the tortoise sure gets mad, though...

Two kids, two cats - Herbie Hermann arrived 28th October 2008
ingisim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #10
DAISY
Adult

My cat doesnt bother with the torts, but their outdoor enclosures have protection to be on the safe side.
Indoors they are kept in a locked room, because of the dogs really, so no need for lids in there.
To be honest my cat seems to ignore all the other animals, furries included, but I wouldnt trust her just incase.

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote