Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #11
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by becciwales View Post
Poor Splodge, my dog has seizures too. As Kelly says, it's frightening to start, but it does get more normal and easier to deal with x
It must be horrible to see them going through a seizure Becci, if my dog had a seizure for the first time I would have been out of my mind and so distressed, dee (my sons girlfriend) said The second seizure he had was a lot worse than the first one, and he was looking at her whilst having it as if to say "please help me" and that must have been so awful, they have been through an awful time with my sons illness over Christmas and now this

I suppose you do get used to seeing them have seizures, if you know it doesnt harm them, and its something that can be controlled, we will have to see what happens.

Thankyou all again for your kind words of support, I really appreciate it x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #12
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
My dog Jack has had siezures for 4 years now, he takes 2 different types of tablets a day which totals 5 tablets. He has to have 6 monthly vet appointments to check the effect these tablets are having on his organ function, without the checks they cannot prescribe the meds.
All of this comes at a huge cost and this is something which has left us very short of money, we can no longer have holidays, partly due to cost and partly due to not being able to get anyone to care for him as the meds must be given at set times.
Basically what I am trying to warn you is to think carefully about going down the meds route, as heartbreaking as it is if I was put in this position again I would have my pet PTS once you have commited to meds at what point do you say we cant afford to keep you alive any more?
It is an awful situation to be in and i feel for your son but they need to make a choice now and not get swept along in emotional turmoil as we did.
Alison that's what I'm concerned about too, my son doesn't earn a great deal and dee is an at home mother, they can't really afford high vet bills, and I think that's stressing them out as well, they paid £234 at the vets and are now skint until payday, its a horrible position to be in, I can help them out but I now only earn £250 a week for a 37 hour a week job at the council, and just about afford my own bills, I am worried for them, and the pressure on my son financially, we will see how it goes with splodge and what the vets say x

0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Old 01-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #13
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
Alison that's what I'm concerned about too, my son doesn't earn a great deal and dee is an at home mother, they can't really afford high vet bills, and I think that's stressing them out as well, they paid £234 at the vets and are now skint until payday, its a horrible position to be in, I can help them out but I now only earn £250 a week for a 37 hour a week job at the council, and just about afford my own bills, I am worried for them, and the pressure on my son financially, we will see how it goes with splodge and what the vets say x
The problem is Bev that the vets will just keep working towards saving the cat, they wont think about how much it is going to effect the life of the family involved.
My advise now that they are already treating the cat would be to see if the cat can get well enough to survive this once the poison come out of its system (even if that means the cat still has seisures occasionally) but if they suggest meds just say no, let nature take its course, he may go on for years with just the odd seisure.
It is more difficult to monitor what is happening with a cat than a dog just due to their nature, he may go out and have a seisure at a totally inappropriate time which could cause his death anyway (such as in the middle of crossing a road) this could still happen even if he is on the meds
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #14
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
The problem is Bev that the vets will just keep working towards saving the cat, they wont think about how much it is going to effect the life of the family involved.
My advise now that they are already treating the cat would be to see if the cat can get well enough to survive this once the poison come out of its system (even if that means the cat still has seisures occasionally) but if they suggest meds just say no, let nature take its course, he may go on for years with just the odd seisure.
It is more difficult to monitor what is happening with a cat than a dog just due to their nature, he may go out and have a seisure at a totally inappropriate time which could cause his death anyway (such as in the middle of crossing a road) this could still happen even if he is on the meds
Yes I see what you mean Alison, they are keeping him indoors at the moment with a litter tray, to check for urine and poops, they are coming round for dinner today so will gently approach the subject, although they won't see it that way at the moment, I think they are thinking of keeping him indoors permanently incase he does have anymore, I will talk to them about it today, thankyou for your advice Alison x

0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Old 01-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #15
emma_mcraf
Adult

Vets bills are extortionate at times. Most vets will allow you to start a payment scheme if you ask though, to make expensive treatment a little more manageable.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #16
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
Worth a try merlin, do you still give buzz cod liver oil? How often does she have seizures? X
Think we stopped giving her the cod liver oil when she was about 5...

She has had one seizure in the last year (that we are aware of) and it was not bad at all, but she is on medication now, just one pill twice a day but costs £40 every 50 days so its not a cheap option.

Before the meds she was having a grad mal approximately once a month, but when one lasted more than 5 minutes the vet and I decided it was time for meds... But petit mal seizures where a happening several times a day...

Hopefully splodge will be ok
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #17
Catwoman63
Adult

Oh merl, so the meds do help, one once in a while isn't too bad, I think they would cope with that, but ofcourse it depends how often he has them, and Emma yes vet bills are expensive, I've spent a lot of money over the years at vets x

0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Old 01-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #18
Merlin M
Adult

Yes once every few months is just fine, so long as they are under 5 minutes.

Grand mal are easy to spot, and scary to watch, petit mal can be difficult to spot they only tend to last a few seconds but aren't so bad as grand mal. Petit mal are vacant spell seizures, you could be doing something and she would just stop and stare at nothing for a bit...

Buzz also has a twitch, the meds help with that too, but you can tell when she is unsettled as the twitch comes back. She has been twitching today untill Russ wrapped her up in bed!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #19
Catwoman63
Adult

Oh no, ill aske Dee today about that, I'm sure I've heard them say before that splodge had been staring and looked like he was in another world on the odd occasion, way before the full seizures, but I can't remember, I think the last one he had on Friday lasted for about 5 minutes x

0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Old 01-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #20
Merlin M
Adult

With the petit mal you wont get a response from them if you call them or anything, but aren't meant to be that bad, can be hard to tell as some animals will just stare into space!
Hopefully any seizures will be short and infrequent. He may be ok once the toxins work their way out.

When buzz ate the slug pellets they made here seize, went on for over an hour non stop, then at the vets for 3 days sedated untill they stopped. And it took 10 years for her to have more