Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 26-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #31
Catwoman63
Adult

Thankyou ladies, his fits are the full grand mal seizures, he digs his claws in the carpet and his body really whacks about the floor, salivates and foams at the mouth, wets himself and when it's all over he is very affectionate, every time he has had them its always been in their bedroom under their bed, so we think when he feels one coming on he goes under their bed.

I think with the medication we will see how many he has over the next few weeks (dee now keeps him indoors permanently, he was spending more time indoors then out anyway we think he feels more secure indoors) if he has them regularly then we will talk to the vet about medication x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #32
emma_mcraf
Adult

Poor Splodge. Grand mal seizures are just awful and he must feel very shaky and have a sore head afterwards. I hope they won't come too often for him. x

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #33
Merlin M
Adult

I know Buzz always needs lots of cuddles after a grand mal, think they do need a good but of comforting after, must be so scary for them
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #34
Catwoman63
Adult

Thanks again ladies, I will tell Ryan and dee about the covering of the head stells to try and make him feel more relaxed if possible, they are keeping a diary of when it happens, but that's only the ones they do see, he could be having them when they are out, and they will keep an eye on his weight as well, thankyou for the advice xxx

0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Old 27-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #35
alley cat
Adult

Thats a shame Bev

My vet said to make the room dark if possible and not to talk to Jack, just quietly observe that he is ok and make sure he is safe.

He once bumped into the ironing board which was leaned against the wall, it fell over and just missed our old dog who was in her bed! we have had to intervene a few times to get him out of weird places, he sometimes tries to get between the wall and the freezer which is a very tight squeeze!

I let Jack out once just after a seizure whilst i cleaned up his puddle, he jumped over our wall and went missing in the village it was terrifying, he didnt know what he was doing
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 11:49 PM   #36
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
I remember the grand mal fits clearly... Buster used to act abit tapped after them and couldn't be cuddled or enclosed... He had to have the back door opened and would run up and down the garden path like a loon for a good 10 mins he could get a little bit scarey sometimes... Still miss him dearly.
That is so sad Kelly, they can't tell us how they are feeling and they don't understand what's going on which is very stressful for them x

0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Old 27-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #37
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
Thats a shame Bev

My vet said to make the room dark if possible and not to talk to Jack, just quietly observe that he is ok and make sure he is safe.

He once bumped into the ironing board which was leaned against the wall, it fell over and just missed our old dog who was in her bed! we have had to intervene a few times to get him out of weird places, he sometimes tries to get between the wall and the freezer which is a very tight squeeze!

I let Jack out once just after a seizure whilst i cleaned up his puddle, he jumped over our wall and went missing in the village it was terrifying, he didnt know what he was doing
Oh Alison, as I said to Kelly they don't understand what's going on and it must really stress and freak them out, and it must have been so terrifying for him, it makes me feel sad when these animals suffer things like this that they don't understand x

0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Old 01-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #38
tlcwrites
Egg

I'm sorry to hear about the poor wee cat.

My Zara, a black DLH, is epileptic too. She has one 15mg dose of phenobarbital a day and it stops all seizures, thank goodness. If we miss a dose, she has petit mal ones, and freaks out a bit in between them. You can see a huge difference in her behaviour: she sort of has a mad few seconds, gets scratchy and irritable with people, freezes, and then goes on with her day. Which basically means: don't miss a dose. Her grand mal seizures have body stiffness mixed with traditional "fitting" episodes, and foaming at the mouth. Like Splodge, she is very affectionate after. Thankfully, it's been a couple of years since she last had a grand mal seizure.

She was diagnosed with epilepsy at around 2 years, and she's just passed her 6th birthday now.
tlcwrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:21 PM   #39
Stellanne
Hatchling

I once had a collie who has seizures from the age at 6 months. Not they began quite mild and would be quite quick although it was tricky taking Bess out as I never knew when these seizures would happen. At first they were easy to control but as the years progressed they became longer and more damaging. Although she was on very strong medication and I was advised of the risks ( dogs with epilepsy can become aggressive because of the fear they feel) I did not feel in anyway I could end her life. One night she had a massive seizure and died, in my arms, as a result of a heart attack. X x x x hugs x x x although pets can give so much pleasure and happy memories, their passing can leave a scar on your heart x x x xhugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote