Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 10-12-2006, 06:13 PM   #11
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Sorry to hear of your loss. Thinking of you.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #12
Fallen Angel
Sub Adult

Sorry to read such sad news my thoughts are with you xxx

Nicky
Old 10-12-2006, 06:45 PM   #13
loopey lass

Default sorry

i am so very sorry to hear of your loss. Buy a tortoise say their tortoise are cpative bred but when i got mine a few weeks ago i realised it was a slovenian import. The certificate says she was a year old but her size would indicate that she is older therefore probably plucked from the wild.... i have recently sought the help of my local society and a good tort vet and thankfully at the moment she seems ok.

Do you have other torts? if so as the others have said i would get them to the vet, how are you keeping your tortoise? was she in a viv? what was her diet like? hopefully if you have other torts they can be helped and nothing will happen to them, i am thinking of you at this sad time
Old 10-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #14
vivp
Hatched

they are keep in a tortoise table,i have decided not to hibernate my other two this year dont want to take the chance of them dying as well,its really odd was eating really well up to the point that i stop feeding them so i could hibernate them.

I am phoning the vets tomorrow, as i need a note from the vets for my insurance claim, so will be taking them down with me.

viv
vivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #15
yam yam
Sub Adult

so sorry to hear of your sad loss
yam yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:40 PM   #16
wizzasmum

That's awful news Viv. I would not hibernate the other one and a note to others would be, not to hibernate imported tortoises unless they have had a vet check for worms and other parasites, even in the second winter. Don;t worry this is not your fault and a common occurence with tortoises from this source. I know it woul dbe hard but I would also let the dealer know what happened as the more people that do the sooner he just might realise what is happening to them. He does claim that he has no complaints so let's get complaining to the low life! This is so sad
Old 10-12-2006, 08:51 PM   #17
vivp
Hatched

i never thought about email them but will do now.

thanks

viv
Old 10-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #18
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

That's really sad Viv, so sorry to hear the bad news.

Shout it from the roof tops, the more people know about this dealer the better, unfortunatley the pet trade has found a very lucrative loop hole in the Cites / Article 10 system allowing WC animals to be passed off as CB or CF animals.

You like many others were lured into the false security that an Article 10 meant everything was all above board.

Piglet / Darren gave excellent advice there about getting a post mortem done and the remaining tortoises you have got screened and their health checked.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:05 PM   #19
vivp
Hatched

thanks i wont be doing that again, think i will just stick with my 2 tortoises for the time being,what generally kills tortoises, do you think it was not feeding them.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:24 PM   #20
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Viv tortoises can survive a good while without food, they do need water more importantly.

It is nothing you have done, the tortoise more than likely got a disease or parasite infection when being imported.

Who knows how or what the poor fellow was imported over to the uk in or what other tortoises it was mixed with, as tortoises carry different pathegens from species to species and they can become cross contaminated and get very serious ilnesses which can be life threatening and take your tortoise very quickly if not detected.

Try not to beat yourself up, these things happen, just concentrate on checking the others out that the same sad episode doesnt repeat itself. But definately contact the dealer when you have an autopsy report.

Chin up hun.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote