Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 17-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
dee11
Egg

Default heating and lighting

whats the best heating and lighting for a horsefield?
dee11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
abelly08
Egg

You need a basking light IMO for at least 8 - 12 hours a day and need to maintain a temp of around 32-35c and have a UVB tube light or a compact bulb. You may be best buying a thermostat to maintain temp constant all the time.
Old 17-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
nooddle
Juvenile

As mentioned above you can use a UVB light tube and basking lamp separately. Or you can get a combined bulb which give both heat and UV. I use this one http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/a...lamp-160w.html

Tiny A'Tuin by nnaaddiinnee89, on Flickr
nooddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
abelly08
Egg

Yes you can use the above which Nadia has posted as I was looking to buy a compact but the only downside is if the bulb goes it is quite expensive to buy. I decided to have more control and buy a UVB tube and basking light which will be cheaper to replace.
Old 17-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
nooddle
Juvenile

Yeah thats very true Andrew and I spent a fortune replacing MVBs every time they blew for a start! But the arcadia ones are very good and I am still on my first one, I use it with a timer (although not just a normal one) and its still going strong.

Tiny A'Tuin by nnaaddiinnee89, on Flickr
nooddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee11 View Post
whats the best heating and lighting for a horsefield?
they need uv and heat , during the day time they need a basking spot at the warm end of 34c , cool end at least 20c plus, this needs to be on for 12/14 hour's during the day, at night no light but background temps of 15/18c .
For uv and heat i would recomend the arcadia d3 combinded heat/uv lamp or the raptor made by megaray

Last edited by NATURALIS; 17-12-2011 at 03:25 PM.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
yuna1971
Adult

Light also will play a factor. As mentioned above, heat is important - probably the most important but also as light quality is poor due to winter, you might want to consider an additional bulb for light purposes - maybe an additional low UV strip like the Repti Glo 2%. This wont beam out the UVB, so dont think that. Its low % is only due to the fact that its mainly for lighting purposes.
Sometimes when not enough light coming in the enclosure - the tort might not rise to bask - if overwintering. Or perhaps might sleep most of the day. Lighting for this purpose is very important. You want to mimic summer, or at least try to - so light and heat is important at this time of year if you are keeping him/her up. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
yuna1971
Adult

Just to say also...sometimes the Arcadia combined bulbs may not give out enough heat. You might struggle to maintain a good basking temp - especially if its frosty outside and the room is big, table is big and has dark areas (see the lighting post above) with just the Arcadia bulb. By this - I mean the 100w or 160w. They are not as powerful in terms of heat as say the Mega Ray 160w. So if your temps are not registering at the 32/34 basking spot...you might have to think about extra heating around that area - such as a heat mat or ceramic heat emitter (100w rigged to a thermostat) perhaps?? xx

Lily's Movie.
Old 17-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
emma_mcraf
Adult

I agree with Rach. I find a low percentage strip light really helps. My four are all still up and about throughout the day. Their heat and light through the day is helping them to think it's summer. Through the night I've got infra bulbs on a timer to maintain ambient temps while they're sleeping. This can be used as an alternative to the ceramic heater. They wake up well, eat well and are active.
It's a case of tweaking to get things right. You'll get there. Good luck!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #10
yuna1971
Adult

Yep, I do think if you have the basking temps right and the ambient is right - at this cold point of the year - then the only thing can be light quality.
Its awful at the mo...no light really until about 7.30am - about 3.30pm. So you have to think about additional lighting if the tort seems sleepy and lethargic.
If it were us - and we were sleepy and not much light - we as humans would rely on artificial light, wherever it came from. Be it from someone switching on a light...or just some sort of alarm light coming on.
I also think they need this too. Nothing wants to progress and move in darkness. (Unless a creature that is only out during nightfall).
An additional strip say a 2% one - one with full spectrum light - the repti glo 2% has this - should kick start things. People I have suggested this one to, seem to see a difference in behaviour - that is, if overwintering. xx

If your temps are good - then I think the light aspect might need looking at. Dark spots around the table (excluding the bed area) need to be considered...if overwintering. Important together with heat in the room, and for basking.
Also watch for drafts coming in - under doors - windows. This will also impact the ambient room temp..and could impact on table temps.

If over wintering and I have said this before - the room that they are housed in - needs to be like FORT Knox. Tight as a drum. And the heat contained as MUCH as possible. With the cold weather (and if it gets worse) - you need to secure it and wrap it right up from draughts and cold. xx

Lily's Movie.

Last edited by yuna1971; 17-12-2011 at 10:10 PM.