Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > TESCO SELLING TURTLES IN CHINA

Old 13-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #31
Kirkie
Adult

Angry

Hmmm... that sounds familiar Me Shell, I'm sure I've read it somewhere before.

Least you got a reply, I didn't.

I'm off to read that report.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #32
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I got exactly the same reply today too
Old 13-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #33
Kirkie
Adult

I've just found their response in my email. They do say to send them any other questions so I've just sent them this, kept my tongue firmly in my cheek for paragraph one

"Thankyou for your prompt response in regard to my email voicing concerns over Tesco's continued practise of selling (and decapitating) live turtles in it's stores in China. This exact email has been received by many associates today so it is good to see Tesco are taking this issue seriously by providing a timely and well thought out response to its customers concerns.

In reference to statement made Sir Terry Leahy, the chief executive, at this years Tesco's AGM in which he stated that "if any scientific evidence emerged that the turtles were endangered then Tesco would act."

Could you please advise as to whether a report issued on November 11th by Care of the Wild titled "The State of Wildlife Trade in China in 2007" will be considered evidence that the continuation of the practise of selling turtles in store is contributiong to the decline of the species involved?

The report specifies "The majority of illegal wild animal trade was in freshwater turtles and snakes. In China , freshwater turtles and snakes are sold mostly for their meat and for medicinal purposes."

The full report can be found at www.traffic.org/home/2008/11/11/state-of-wildlife-trade-in-china-finds-consumption-is-rising.html

Thankyou for your attention."
Old 13-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #34
Geomyda
Adult

This report, is actually published by Traffic.org, not Care for the Wild, but I am sure that they will publish further reports shortly.
It will be interesting to see what additional response, if any your latest letter receives?
Regards
Paul
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #35
Kirkie
Adult

Doh, thats the problem with working 16 hours straight today, my brains in a mush. Doubt they'll notice my mistake. We''ll see.
Old 13-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #36
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

Well done Kirkie, let us know how you get on
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #37
Kirkie
Adult

Had another response from Tesco:

Thank you for contacting us again.

I am sorry that you remain unhappy with our decision to sell live turtles in our Chinese stores.

I would like to assure you that we have developed a public awareness campaign to help consumers understand animal welfare and to give advice on the best treatment of turtles, where consumers choose to take them home as live animals.

We have also identified one species of turtle which is popular with customers and can be killed in a more humane way. We no longer sell species of turtles where research shows that this more humane method cannot be achieved.

Please be reassured that, although we currently have no plans to stop selling live turtles, we are continually monitoring customer feedback about this issue.

I can also assure you that your own comments, along with any others that we may receive, will be taken on board.

Kind Regards

Helen Duke
Customer Service Executive
Old 18-11-2008, 02:41 AM   #38
EJ
Adult

Do you see the point?... the consumer out
numbers your opinion.

I don't think you're going to change that. Rethink your position and determine a compromise... that might work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
Had another response from Tesco:

Thank you for contacting us again.

I am sorry that you remain unhappy with our decision to sell live turtles in our Chinese stores.

I would like to assure you that we have developed a public awareness campaign to help consumers understand animal welfare and to give advice on the best treatment of turtles, where consumers choose to take them home as live animals.

We have also identified one species of turtle which is popular with customers and can be killed in a more humane way. We no longer sell species of turtles where research shows that this more humane method cannot be achieved.

Please be reassured that, although we currently have no plans to stop selling live turtles, we are continually monitoring customer feedback about this issue.

I can also assure you that your own comments, along with any others that we may receive, will be taken on board.

Kind Regards

Helen Duke
Customer Service Executive
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #39
gtm
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
numbers your opinion.

I don't think you're going to change that. Rethink your position and determine a compromise... that might work.

I agree - I've said before this is a cultural issue rather than a 'Tesco' problem. I think other strategies are more likely to help the softshell turtles - ie supporting on the ground conservation organisations.
gtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 08:13 AM   #40
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
numbers your opinion.

It was stated by Terry Leahy, the Tesco Chairman, at the 2008 AGM that they would review the situation after they looked at the scientific evidence, commissioned by themselves. Let me say, that having now seen this evidence, which is a document currently submitted for peer review, the case is far from clear.
First off, the presentation, which is voluminous in text, opens with a statement, a description of a farmed Softshell Turtle, then a photograph of the wrong species.
It then discusses the history and a bit of Chelonian Biology, claiming the Turtles have been on the Planet for 2.5 Billion years and that the earliest fossil evidence in China, is 6000 million years! Both of these statements, completly false!!
What came first, "the soup or the Turtle"?
Throughout the text there are inaccuracies, which include tables of species native to china, which differs one from the other. Some of the Latin nomenclature for the same species also varies through the document, and some very naive statements are made about the biology of the Chelonian group.
Clearly this document will be correctly reviewed by academics, and written response will be sent to Tesco for their perusal.
However, until this is done, the Jury remains OUT on this highly contentious trade.
You of course, are quite entitled too your own opinion, but I firmly believe that the case for the current practice of selling live Turtles for food by a UK owned Supermarket, in their Chinese subsidiary is flawed, and should be stopped.

Last edited by Geomyda; 18-11-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote