Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 28-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
albertina
Egg

Default pregnant

hi my tortoise layed 4 eggs last year, about a month ago she started pacing her run and acting like she was pregnant so i built her a nesting place again exactly like last year but she hasnt layed any eggs and she seems to be normal now (no pacing) i thought that because she had eggs last year she would lay some more this year but nothing yet
albertina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
tortoise_dude
Hatched

Did you weight her when she started acting gravid? If she is acting completely normal then she may have laid them and you haven't noticed. It could just be that the weather has gone rubbish and she is 'sulking.'
tortoise_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
albertina
Egg

i didnt weigh her and she defo hasnt layed any yet,the weather has been really good here the last couple of weeks so i dunno
Old 28-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Only way you will know for sure it by getting an xray to see if there are any eggs.
It could be just her hormones
I've had females in the past pace, i thought it was eggs but it was just their hormones.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
albertina
Egg

oh i see perhaps i will have to do that.so because she layed her eggs last year dosnt mean that she could have any eggs in her this year.also is it like humans some people we like some we dont because soon as george sees albertina he is rampant but when delilah goes in with george he dosnt want to know
Old 28-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
shellonia
Sub Adult

Hi there,unless she is acting distressed I wouldn't pay out for an x-ray.She can lay several times from one mating and she will do when she's ready.Mine was the same-when we had the last hot spell she paced and paced but wouldn't lay in the blazing sun.It takes a lot of effort to dig.Then one morning she got up really early and dug and laid by 10am.They are very wise and do things in their own time when conditions are right.Maybe her nesting site is too dry and she knows the sides will cave in.In this hot weather I water my soil heap every evening so it'ssoaked in but moist ready for the next day.My male tortoise is mad on one of my girls and ignores the other-who can fathom them,but it's fun learning to go with flow.Hope she lays soon.Good luck
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote