Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 22-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
Pussygalore
Adult

Default 2 more additions

I had 2 more squirrells arrive today these are a lot younger than the other one we have a brother and sister and by golly do you know it when they wake up hungry they wriggle, grunt and squeak and fasten onto any bare skin they can find, they are cute though. the baby orphan mallards are a lot bigger now and have progressed to a paddling pool which they love, trying to catch them to put inside is real fun as they all dive under the water, they like it if you throw some wheat in which they can dive for and loved some assorted lettuce floating on the top, theyr.e doing well on chick crumbs, nice and fat

8) 8)
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
aprillinda

good luck with the squirells

where do they come from are you doing a rescue center type thing
Old 22-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

When we had the 1st Stewie last year I got in touch with the Meon Valley squirrel rescue for advice and they asked me if I,d go on their books as a possible foster home for Kent, the older one came from Chatham via the Meon and these 2 from Dover again through the finder having got in touch with the Meon, we also had Simon Cowell from the Wildlife SOS program around the other day looking at the premises to see which animals could be released here, its looks possible for a badger sett to be dug and water voles for the river that would be really exciting, here is my hubby kevin haveing a private moment with the older squirrel note the leg hanging.
Old 22-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
KearasNana
Sub Adult

Wow they are so sweet

Its such a nice thing you are doing, taking them in and giving them a fighting chance at life
Old 22-04-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
Pussygalore
Adult

theyr,e fairly easy to rear if you have the time, because they are naturally inquisitive animals they seem to have no fear as babies and take to a bottle really easy, they have never bitten and enjoy being near you and being handled they are on a mix of milk (full fat ) either goats or cows with live yoghurt and Abidec childrens vitamin drops added to it and need feeding every few hours the babies are on about 3hourly feeds and the older one just has a bottle twicw a day more for comfort, they are time consumming and do scratch as they get older, require bigger and bigger enclosures and plenty of stimulating things to climb and do, love apple, pear branches with juicy buds and leaves, will pinch your dinner given the chance and hide their nuts in any convenient hole, ears are good places and down your neck, all in all very adorable and endless entertainment to watch.
Old 22-04-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
eminart
Incubating

You have gray squirrels over there? I guess I thought they were only native to the U.S.

Thirty years later, and I'm still keeping "creepy" things.
eminart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 07:48 AM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

Yes we do have greys over here but there are NOT native to us and are considered a pest by the authorities, it is ilegal to release them but we live on a private estate so mine are allowed to go free and I just don,t announce it, I personally think that by not releasing the few hand reared that it will make any difference to the overall numbers in this country and that nature takes its own course, they have nearly wiped out our native reds due to their bigger size etc and there are now only small pockets of the reds left but you would have to totally irradicate the greys to give the reds a chance and that would be impossible, so the reds are confined to areas in nature reserves, islands etc where the greys can,t get. I still think that they are lovely intelligent creatures and as they are here well I,ll save the few that come to us.
Old 23-04-2007, 08:03 AM   #8
Lyn
Adult

I didn't know it was illegal to releases them They are very sweet
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote