Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 30-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
joathome
Adult

Default A Hornet

I was in our bathroom when this inch and half thing buzzed passed me ok yes i did scream like a girl (cos i am one) it landed on the ceiling not the part that aint no longer there (another posting) and it was a hornet, we had a few in the warmer months last year, quickly opened the window and shut the door tight, left it for a while then went back into see and phew it had gone, went downstairs with a cute smile on my face, headed out the back door and the bl**dy thing flew in again, its trapped in a room now so will wait for Steve to come in and get rid of the little s*d
Old 30-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Get the fly spray out hun!!!!

I hate wasps and wasp like things, bees are ok becuase they wont sting you just because they are feeling p*$$*d off unlike the before mentioned horrible hateful things.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
Lloyd
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to Lloyd

ohh found a few sleepy ones of those myself today.
While i was stripping the roof of the garage they were a kip inbetween the panels.

Lloyd
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

there awesome little things, though they have a painful sting. we have a small coleny of wasps in our shed roof. brillant to watch them work.

although if one is in our house without permission, then it meets a fly swat or the bottom of my shoe. could not use fly spray in my house.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
joathome
Adult

They are babies compared to this mother i have here, the bottom of a shoe is sounding quite good though
Old 30-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

i did that once when i was 12, before we had double glazing. a wasp landed on the window and i stomped the wasp as i was worried about it stinging one of the birds. but the wasp was on the window and i kinda put my foot through the whole window and the frame came out aswell....had to have a big cut on my leg glued at the hospital. safe to say we had a reason now to get double glazing
Old 30-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

I got stung by a hornet a couple of years back, it was hiding in my nightie and I sat down and it stung high up on my inner thigh 3 times before it died, I ended up in casualty as my leg swelled and I big red streaks to my ankle, god did it hurt,ice was the only thing that helped, my leg felt bad for a couple of days, so don't let it sting you needless to say now I run.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
Toni115
Adult

JO!!! you need what I have, a tennis raquet shaped electric fly swat HaHa it goes ZAAPPPP!!! when you swat them, very very satisfying.
Old 30-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
piglet
Adult

Don't kill them please,

I know they are aggressive but only if you pester them, the wasp/hornet you have found will be a queen from last year hibernating, they are seasonal creatures dieing off in the autumn and the new queens hibernate through the winter and start new colonys of come spring.

Wasps and hornets are amazing killes and rid areas of nasty flies,I often watch them hunting blow flies that buzz about my tirtoise areas in the summer so they are doing good even if they have a bad attitude.

You can move hibermnating wasps easily just pick them up in thick tissue and put them out in the shed or another frost free area

D

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #10
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

i do have to say and agree with darren, they are nice animals, thye don't bother me outside, but do need to be rid of inside if i can't get them out.....too risky with little kids in the house.