Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Where to Buy and Bargains

Old 24-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #11
Sully Lover
Egg

Hi you two. Thanks for the video. Will watch that later.

Paul, I am using the combined for basking and UV. But because of how well I've had it insulated it's getting above the temps I want, even for day time! I was SO anxious I wouldn't be able to heat it and now I'm having the opposite problem. In a way it's comforting, just been in to see them as the temp outside has dropped and it's snowing. They're lovely and cosy.
Sully Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #12
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distraught View Post
Hi you two. Thanks for the video. Will watch that later.

Paul, I am using the combined for basking and UV. But because of how well I've had it insulated it's getting above the temps I want, even for day time! I was SO anxious I wouldn't be able to heat it and now I'm having the opposite problem. In a way it's comforting, just been in to see them as the temp outside has dropped and it's snowing. They're lovely and cosy.
What temp rise are you getting from the bulb, this is without the tube on.
Old 24-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #13
Sully Lover
Egg

Not enough, Paul. 24 ish. Depends on outside temps as well, fluctuates. I'm new to this outdoor enclosure thing so any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.
Old 24-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #14
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Trying to work out your setup, by what you have said with the tube on and the lamp on, the temps soar. If this is right, it will be that the tube is not on a thermostat, which in winter will be set at 21c and be used as the night heat. To build the heat up on realy cold day's from the lamp, an extra bulb can be added, this can be a simple 60-100w spot bulb, place this about two foot away from the combined, gives a warmer basking area, it means extra wire's but can be manualy switched on and off as needed.
Old 25-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
Sully Lover
Egg

The Habistat I've got is on the blink, soaring temps the result, yes. I'll buy a new Habistat. It's just it's so near bloody christmas, we have three kids and this enclosure took every penny I had as he's a rehomer and so big my indoor enclosure wouldn't have been big enough, plus indoors? LOL No way, he's huge!
Old 25-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #16
yuna1971
Adult

http://reptilekeeping.co.uk/habistat...tat-p-318.html
Distraught, have you looked at this model? This is the one I have. Its £38 but cheaper than the pulse. It actually might control things a little better anyway, as it only gets warmer and warmer - to full pelt, the lower it goes below the setting.
Up to you, thought I would throw that in the mix xx Hope it helps.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #17
Sully Lover
Egg

I think the Pulse was the same price from Surrey Pets, so which one would be better people? It's to run the long tube heater I have in there. Cheers.
Old 25-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #18
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
http://reptilekeeping.co.uk/habistat...tat-p-318.html
Distraught, have you looked at this model? This is the one I have. Its £38 but cheaper than the pulse. It actually might control things a little better anyway, as it only gets warmer and warmer - to full pelt, the lower it goes below the setting.
Up to you, thought I would throw that in the mix xx Hope it helps.
It is a cheaper model, but the pulse is ideal for heater's, which is what it will be mainly used for, the pulse trickles energy/electric to a heater when the heat drops, this will inturn save electric, the reason is electric heaters like a tube are best trickle supplied than switched off totaly, then switched on again a few minutes earlier. And the pulse can actualy save the lifespan of bulb's and heaters that may be on/off constantly.
Old 25-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #19
Sully Lover
Egg

So, the pulse from Surrey Pets will do the job? Totally got rid of the smell of smoke in there btw using activated charcoal, it was the only thing that worked really. It's completely gone.
Old 25-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #20
yuna1971
Adult

To me thats the same function of the Dimming one Paul...
The Dimming one doesnt go full pelt as soon as it drops down to the users specification. It gradually increases intensity of the heat according to how much lower below user spec the room temp is. Which when you think about it...is the same as what the pulse is doing but by a very slightly different method. I was also told by others......that the one I have is fine for heaters...and not just for bulbs. I debated when I ditched Lilys red light, whether to send this one back but kept it as lots told me it would work fine.
I completely agree...in fact it works brilliantly!
Last night Lilys room dropping to coldest this year - 17.8degrees! Lilys cosy corner was a nice 21degrees. Not right on him but angled in and back.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 25-11-2010 at 03:20 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote