Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 05-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
and1ek
Egg

Default Post Hibernation - Help

My Spur Thigh Tortoise who is very elderly woke from hibernation early after 3weeks, I managed to get her back down again but 2 days later she woke up. She was trying to lift the lid off of her hibernation box which she does each Spring when she has had enough of sleeping!!!

She is now in her in house which is 26-28 degrees at one end and 34-35 degrees under her basking light which is an Arcadia D3 UV 160 watt. All she wants to do is sleep, she has not eaten anything since she woke up 3 days ago. She moves around but heads to the corner and just wants to sleep. She is in perfect condition, I had her checked by a tortoise vet before I put her asleep and she is in good weight and in tip top condition.

She is not at all interested in basking under her light, she stays under it for a couple of minutes then heads for the corner. I have lowered the temps under the light to 32 degrees but still not interested.

I have been bathing her twice a day in warm water one of her daily baths is with Reptoboost. She has wee'd and also passed a little bit of digested poo but thats about it.

I have tried to tempt her with all the naughty treats she should not eat but not interested she just tramples over it. I did put a small piece of Mazuri food on the end of her beak and she did eat after a couple of mins but that was only because it was stuck on her and she is awfully vain!!!!

I thought by upping the temps her metabolism would kick in and she wouldnt be so sleepy and would want to eat!!!

Any ideas of what I can do next

4 Tortoises
2 Persian Cats
2 Labradoodles
and1ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
JoesMum
Hatchling

Be patient is my first bit of advice. It takes a few days to come round from hibernation properly so that 20 minutes soak in luke warm water is vital.

Make sure your tort is get 12-14 hours of light... you're trying to replicate summer here. The temps sound perfect. I have 35C under the basking and the cool end is roughly the same as yours. Joe has been rampaging recently, but spends his time mostly asleep now. When he's not asleep, he's eating...a lot!

I put his food in close vicinity to the UV, so he has to get UV every time he eats!

With Joe, I established a routine of lights and heat on, bath then feed... he eats most and is most active immediately after that bath. He usually eats again at lunchtime (sometimes after being shoved back under his heat lamp by me ) and has packed up somewhere between 3 and 4pm completely.

Getting the vacuum cleaner out guarantees his attention and he stomps for a couple of hours after that
Old 05-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
and1ek
Egg

Hi JoesMum

Thank you for your reply

Yes I have the light on for 12-14 hours also but she wont go under it. I do keep putting her under it but I keep thinking well if she needs the heat she will go under, I am afraid of over heating her!!

She normally likes basking but not at the moment!!!

I have the temperatures same at night as during the day at the moment hoping that will get her up and running.

This year has been a nightmare with hibernation due to the weather being so mild. All these years of owning tortoises I have never had these problems they have always slept until Spring and the temps have always been stable.

I know Im just being over paranoid but I just love my little friends so much, I want to do what I can to make them happy
Old 05-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
JoesMum
Hatchling

I know the problem. This is Joe's first winter awake in 41 years. I let the temps drop at night - so there is a definite difference. Joe's in my dining room and temps are similar to yours by day. It's well insulated and the temp drops to about 20C at night.

I have both a ceramic and conventional spot above his 'table' (6' x 4'6" bookcase) and a UV tube. All are on by day plus the house lights. At night only the ceramic heater is on.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Do you know your night time temperatures? How are you keeping them up?

Danny
Old 06-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
and1ek
Egg

Hi Danny
I am keeping the temperatures up with ceramic heaters so I have control of the temp. I am keeping them the same at night as during the day 26-28 degrees.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Try upping the cool end temperature to 30C with the CHE. This might get her going again.

Danny
Old 06-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
and1ek
Egg

Ok will do thank you

4 Tortoises
2 Persian Cats
2 Labradoodles

Tags
pro hibernation