Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Shelled Warriors Shop, Classifieds and Rehoming > Classifieds > Wanted

Old 30-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #31
becciwales
Adult

I apologise too if you feel I was rude. This forum isn't usually rude or aggressive.
I agree however with alley cat, I wouldn't have replied if you were looking for more than 1 or hadn't said not for breeding. I'm by no means an expert personally, but I do know that my Mum's 2 torts fought, but you are very fortunate to have a few acres to separate them. We don't all have that luxury.

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #32
vyolla
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by becciwales View Post
I agree however with alley cat, I wouldn't have replied if you were looking for more than 1 or hadn't said not for breeding. I'm by no means an expert personally, but I do know that my Mum's 2 torts fought
Sorry, all I was trying to get across in my wanted ad was that I'm not after a female in order to produce an army of sullies for any kind of financial gain, that I'm not a breeder.

If they get on, that's fine, but any eggs that may be produced will be destroyed. In the US there's a huge problem with placing adult sullies with new homes. People buy these when they're tiny, thinking that a giant tort will be fun, but are unaware of the husbandry involved with these beasties once they reach maturity.

All torts, no matter what type, have their own personalities, and you don't know who's going to get on with who until you put them together. It goes without saying that if there's any aggression, separation is required.

I've got some med spurs, and one of them is a demon. I've had them for 26 years, but this one has always been bad! He's so aggressive that he goes for people as well as other torts, he's been hanging off the end of a gardening glove a good few times. He is housed separately and, when allowed to mix with the others it's under strict supervision. A tort bite can be extremely bad, and I would never put any animal in a situation where this was a possibility.

My friend's adult sullies all get along and co-habit happily. They do mate, and this can be pretty noisy, but it's the nature of the beast. They're all happy, they've tons of space to roam in and have their own custom built stone house (and I mean house) with electricity and running water. She doesn't incubate any eggs either.

I belong to a sully group, members there keep sullies in mixed gender groups too. Most of them are in the US, with loads of space. That's why I was querying the space issue if any of you are sully owners experiencing problems.

Anyway, this has all gone a bit pear-shaped, and this ad is pretty pointless here now.

Perhaps a moderator would remove it, I can't see a facility to delete it.
vyolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #33
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

I can delete it but see no problem with the ad in and of itself.

Also I don't see a problem keeping an adult pair in a 3/4 of an acre pen. You could probably keep 4 in that area no problem, though they might keep the grass very short

Danny