Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 21-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Emilyjayne2012
Hatchling

Default Advice on temporary lighting / heating

I am going on holiday in September and a family member is taking care of Sheldon & Heidi for me.
I am going to house them in a indoor rabbit cage.
I am not going to have UV as its only for a week and I have been told they will be ok without for that time.
But I was wondering which heating I shoul use.
Do they need the light? Or can I use a ceramic heater?
Also what wattage should I get? They will be being kept in a living room so it should be quite warm but I don't want them getting too cold or the heat not getting up high enough.

Thanks

Emilyjayne2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Merlin M
Adult

A standard spot bulb should be ok, I would estimate 60W should be ok... do you have a thermostat you could use to stop it getting too hot?
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Emilyjayne2012
Hatchling

Yeah I use a thermostat at the minute with my ceramic heater.
Ok then I will look into getting a spot bulb thanks

Old 21-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Merlin M
Adult

You would probably get away with the ceramic bulb fitting...
Old 25-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
Emilyjayne2012
Hatchling

Can anyone suggest a way to guard the ceramic heater or light bulb (which ever I use) as it will be inside a indoor rabbit cage and with people reaching in to put the food in or change water etc, I don't want them getting burnt (I burnt myself on my ceramic heater recently and have the scar to prove it)
I have seen the Exo Terra wire protector but thats on a clamp and I cant use a clamp inside the rabbit cage.
I need something hanging preferably.
I just don't want anyone getting hurt
Thanks

Old 25-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Merlin M
Adult

That's what I use, it has a clamp but also a thing so it can be hung...

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/rept...ght-27543.html

Don't know why the link didn't show at first...

Last edited by Merlin M; 25-06-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 25-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
amph55
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilyjayne2012 View Post
I am going on holiday in September and a family member is taking care of Sheldon & Heidi for me.
I am going to house them in a indoor rabbit cage.
I am not going to have UV as its only for a week and I have been told they will be ok without for that time.
But I was wondering which heating I shoul use.
Do they need the light? Or can I use a ceramic heater?
Also what wattage should I get? They will be being kept in a living room so it should be quite warm but I don't want them getting too cold or the heat not getting up high enough.

Thanks
Your tortoises look really lovely! I don't think they ll take harm for a week even without a lamp, but make sure they know what they are doing as it would be tempting to let them out if its sunny and then they could escape!
My tortoise used to hate wire mesh in front of him as he constantly climbed it and there was danger of his claws getting stuck. It seems best if its a tempory arrangement to put a piece of perspect inside the mesh for this reason or even better an opaque piece so light filters through but they don 't get so stressed by constantly trying to get out. A small piece of wood across the bottom will help to alleviate this if its see through though. A rabbit cage is only any good for a secure but tempory home as mine got so stessed he would nt eat so best not to warm them up too much then they won 't naturally be too active. If you want to provide a lamp a 100watt ceramic is fine but dont have it on for too long - say an hour at a time (and only when they can be supervised) just to get them to eat then they may stay (hopefully) placid.Hope this helps!
Old 25-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Emilyjayne2012
Hatchling

Thanks Merlin I will take a look

Old 25-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
Emilyjayne2012
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by amph55 View Post
Your tortoises look really lovely! I don't think they ll take harm for a week even without a lamp, but make sure they know what they are doing as it would be tempting to let them out if its sunny and then they could escape!
My tortoise used to hate wire mesh in front of him as he constantly climbed it and there was danger of his claws getting stuck. It seems best if its a tempory arrangement to put a piece of perspect inside the mesh for this reason or even better an opaque piece so light filters through but they don 't get so stressed by constantly trying to get out. A small piece of wood across the bottom will help to alleviate this if its see through though. A rabbit cage is only any good for a secure but tempory home as mine got so stessed he would nt eat so best not to warm them up too much then they won 't naturally be too active. If you want to provide a lamp a 100watt ceramic is fine but dont have it on for too long - say an hour at a time (and only when they can be supervised) just to get them to eat then they may stay (hopefully) placid.Hope this helps!

Hi, thank you for your advice

Don't worry I will make sure they don't let them out. It will be September by the time we go away so I don't think there will be much sun around.
The rabbit cage I am buying has a very deep base so even once the substrate is in there they won't be able to see out the top.
The main reason I am using a rabbit cage and not my table is because they have a pet cat so I need to keep the torts safe.
And I will let them know about the heat lamp too and not to have it on too long too.

Old 25-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Emilyjayne2012
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin M View Post

That's what I use, it has a clamp but also a thing so it can be hung...

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/rept...ght-27543.html

Don't know why the link didn't show at first...

Oh I didn't even think of using that lol. That is what I have already.
How dumb am I lol. I was just imagining a cage thing to put round it i didnt think about that holder. So I can just use the one I already have