Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #1
Anyfoot
Incubating

Default Redfoot pyramided torts

A few months back we got a phone call off of one of Dawn's distant relations asking for advice on her poorly torts, cut a long story short they had cold and was tret wih antibiotics, and returned to good health. About 2 wks ago we had another phone call asking if we would take these 2 torts off her hands. We hummed and rrrrrrd and said if she really wanted to get rid of them we would, kind of hoping she would change her mind. 5 days ago she asked again, and reluctantly we took them in. She brought them to our house that night, last Tuesday.
Well, shocked was an understatement. I was fuming inside. These torts have been kept in totally wrong conditions, they are a tropical species that require high humidity and an ambient temp of around 28°c. The only way to achieve this is in a closed system, not a open table like most of you guys do with the med species.
Because they have been kept too dry the carapaces have pyramided severely. On too of that the diet was all wrong, peas,carrots,sweetcorn and lettuce is not a good diet. On top of that they have never been outside because a vet told them 4yrs ago when they got them that they would need jabs before going outside. The information this couple was given for a 4 year period to care for this species was so far off the mark.
When I showed them one of my smooth torts the husband said "do they develope the bumps at a later age then". Sheesh.
Anyway, we've got them in quarantine for 6 months, they are about 9" so still some growing to do. Hopefully I can give them a good life now.
I'm hoping this thread helps others understand the importance of humidity,ambient temps and hydration for tropical torts. Made me sad when I saw these.
They seem to be walking strong so hoping MBD has not kicked in due to crap diet.
If you laid a piece of string over the peaks of these pyramids, this is where the carapace should be.
I'll just keep trying to bring this to light in the uk. What chance do we have when reptile shops and most vets haven't got a clue

Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote