Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 15-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
Scute Recruit
Egg

I work at a zoo, although not with the reptiles. We do not hibernate our torts, just keep them extra toasty all winter. Heating bill is enormous!
Scute Recruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
Levi
Hatched

Well obviously lots of species don't hibernate and it is useful for a Zoo to have them on display all year round to keep their paying customers happy.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
Sheli88
Egg

I personally think it is very important, I'm all about keeping things as natural as possible and in the wild it would be a huge part of their lives so it is not something I would ignore.

I rescued a male horsfield last year and found it very difficult to feed and care for him over winter. He was miserable and I hated it so I hibernate my babies.
Sheli88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
Pussygalore
Adult

I would say the same, if you have a tort that is happy to stay awake and stays active, eating etc then fine but there are also torts that will fight whatever you do or offer. With these torts I feel apart from it being cruel to force them to do something they obviously don't want it could be detrimental to their health. Neither of my adult Ibera would stay awake whatever I did and stopped eating and comming out (they lived outside with heated housing) around the end of September. It didn't make any difference what the weather was doing they might sun bathe but never ate and eventually even the sun wouldn't bring them out. I tried bringing them in and again they would simply hide away, it wasn't fair on them so controled hibernation was the best option.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #15
pagan queen
Adult

That's another thing I don't do "right" Cheryl. I overwinter and feel happy with that choice. The torts do slow down but that's not a problem I just go with it and they soon come round.
A wild tortoise only hibernates when the weather changes and the food supply has gone. It's a survival instinct. If the weather didn't change and food was not an issue they would not hibernate. If global warming keeps their habitats warm all year they will no longer hibernate.
We can provide warmth and food so there is no need to hibernate, in my opinion.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
cherylahutch
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
That's another thing I don't do "right" Cheryl. I overwinter and feel happy with that choice. The torts do slow down but that's not a problem I just go with it and they soon come round.
A wild tortoise only hibernates when the weather changes and the food supply has gone. It's a survival instinct. If the weather didn't change and food was not an issue they would not hibernate. If global warming keeps their habitats warm all year they will no longer hibernate.
Couldn't agree more If the weather didnt change they would just carry on as they were. Mine are all captive bred and have never been hibernated so not something I'm planning on changing. I would never forgive myself if I lost one because I didn't do it right
Old 17-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #17
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
I'm with you on that Wendy.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #18
Sheli88
Egg

Problem is the weather does change, and they do notice. If they slow down that should be telling you something..

Hibernating helps with slow growth and prolongs life expectancy so there is a need for it. What isn't needed is overwintering because you can't bear to be apart from them for a couple of months when there is a perfectly safe, tried and tested, fridge method for hibernation.

To me arguing against hibernation is like arguing against breastfeeding and co sleeping, as the benefits far out weigh the risks.
Sheli88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
ONielsen
Hatched

Dont ever underestimate this user ! She got big ... Brains !

Kelly, people who regular breeds tortoises knows exactly what you mean .
Fertility , number of clutches , hatchrates is what comes into my mind at first.
And maybe theres more to it .. who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
It's not something that has to be done... but if you are wanting to breed is said that hibernation is beneficial.

ON
ONielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Smile

If you can look after them properly and manage there temps as you are then im pretty sure you would manage to hibernate them with no problems. The first time is worrying, but after that it becomes part of keeping med torts.
As people have said, the benefits are there to see, im no expert, but I do see the difference with my torts compared to one adult that I was given who had never been hibernated, he did his first hibernation last year for 12 weeks, now he is non stop active.
Ive had one loss in 12years of keeping and this was down to my own fault for not realising the tortoise had a problem before he went into hibernation.
Everyone has there own opinion on this subject, but if done correctly and there is plenty of good advice on here, then you should try it.
Andy
Andy Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote