Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 06-04-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
Jillyp
Hatchling

Default A couple of behaviour/eating questions

My 2 torts live in a tortoise table but have free range time in the garden when I can supervise them. They share this with 3 bunnies. Despite having dandelions, sow thistle and pansies to eat in the garden, I caught Titch eating bunny poo . Is this likely to cause him any harm? It would be a shame to contain them in a run as it's great to see them motoring around the garden but obviously I'd have to do this if they can't be sensible.

Second question, I have now caught Darwin on his back three times in the tortoise table . (He'll be 6 years old this year). I turned him the right way each time and I'm worried that he's going to do this when I'm at work . I've removed climbing stuff but saw him end on his back whilst trying to climb out of the table. Any advice please? Can they right themselves when they've done this?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
DoodleBopper
Hatchling

I'm not sure about rabbit poo but sometimes my tortoise will eat his own. I know it is quite disgusting lol. I'm sure it says somewhere in my book about them eating foeces but I can;t find it at the moment sorry
Old 06-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
DoodleBopper
Hatchling

Aha i've found it: 'occasionally animal dung is eaten. Usually herbiverous animals such as camels, sheep and goats. This nutritious food will provide part digested plant material and beneficial cellulose digesting bacteria, useful when digesting high fibre plant material'
There you go, so maybe they eat the rabbit poo as it contains digested grass and stuff.

Also sometimes they can right themselves but my tortoise rarely falls over which is surprising as he's always trying to escape. I hope someone can help you soon
Old 06-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
a_fisher
Hatched

If the rabbits have worms I think the torts could get them by eating their faeces.

I too am concerned about my little one toppling over when I'm at work. I'm sure it's been discussed many times in the past so tried using the search box, but I can't think of any key words to search for :S

0.0.2 T.h.b
a_fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
Jillyp
Hatchling

Thank you both.
Regarding the worms, I routinely worm the buns every 6 months so hopefully they shouldn't have those.

I'll try the search facility for the other question, thanks.