Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 18-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #1
Jan W
Sub Adult

Default The Greenhouse if finally up!

After a challenging few weeks the greenhouse if finally up! First it arrived late, so the weekend we had planned for erection passed.Then we had torrential rain. We are not DIY people, so we were a bit surprised at how many bits it came in. Fortunately I have a husband who is a terrier and will not give up.

The good news is that Bertie and Beatrice just love it. I am over the moon as they are going in there to bed. Beatrice is now up at 7 and looking for food and Bertie starts stirring about 8.

Bertie spends more time in there than out at the moment. It was over 30 degrees in there today. As it is south facing, he just lies by the door.

The dying plant was a temporary measure, but they like it. Now need to make some hides.

Now they are 10 there is such a difference. I have tried to give them choices, so they still have their house in the shed at the opposite end, but they haven't been in there again. Also, I have a little polythene type greenhouse and also an area that is covered by conservatory roofing - both ignored now. The main difference is they have huge appetites!

Hopefully I will have mastered the new posting of photos and you can see lots more to do. (Notice on the greenhouse we forgot to take the 'build by numbers' stickers off ....).

Anyway, thanks to all of you that I progressed to this. So many ideas and photos shared.

https://imgur.com/a/1SIV3dM

Sorry I have managed to put the photo link but not yet learnt how to put the photos directly on here!

Last edited by Jan W; 18-06-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
Suze65
Adult

Well done Jan, that is a great little greenhouse for your torts, I’m sure they are going to love it, very spoiled little torts.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 09:36 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

It’s fantastic Jan. Well done you and your husband for getting it together despite the delays.
It’s really lovely to hear how Beatrice and Bertie are enjoying it.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

wow that' s brilliant - though I thought you were having a laugh on that first picture as in 'green' house on the back of torts shell ! looked like he was carrying a Christmas tree round ! what a sweetie - tell him its not for another 6 months 4 days and 18 hours ......what a difference has made then also, happy tort , happy owner ! CB
Old 20-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #5
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
wow that' s brilliant - though I thought you were having a laugh on that first picture as in 'green' house on the back of torts shell ! looked like he was carrying a Christmas tree round ! what a sweetie - tell him its not for another 6 months 4 days and 18 hours ......what a difference has made then also, happy tort , happy owner ! CB
Ha ha - I am not that clever!
Old 21-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

We need a progress report Jan, Has the Christmas tree stayed put and are you going to plant out in there - I have around 30 tomato plants going fee as you know !!! (just for show otherwise torts will turn pink if they eat them !),
I must tell you I seeded and planted loads of pansies for Banjo Duo in his pen, nurtured them over weeks and months under protection , and revealed them , and he has eaten the lot in one sitting .........must be caviar day for him !!! Won't be doing that again !!!!! Ever , CB
Old 21-06-2018, 11:26 PM   #7
Jan W
Sub Adult

I haven't decided what to grow inside yet. Looking at how they have spent time charging around I dont think anything will last at the moment! There are loads of weeds outside. Just watching.

I bought tomato plants at the open day and put in my greenhouse - no torts allowed.

Mini Christmas tree outside is still there and will be ready for decoration in a few months.

It is really boring in there but Bertie spends most of his time there at the moment!

We are making 2 hides, similar to the ones that Sandy has in her greenhouse. Although they wont be hibernating in there this year, but back inside their other house.