Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 29-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
burnt toast
Adult

Default Do They Get Too Old to Be Fertile??

I have a group of old Hermans. Got them from a Breeder who has sold lots of babies & I do know a lot of people who bought babies from them. Anyway I put the first few years down to settling in period but now its the 3rd summer & I feel they are settled. So I want to know why all the eggs that the females carefully bury are never fertile? I see the male mate with them & sure enough the females produce eggs & nest them properly.

The male is not aggressive, its as if he gets a sudden urge & just jumps on & mounts them, never bites or butts ( but his ex owner said he's always been the same " a gentle lover" lol) Hes believed to be around the 75 year mark. The breeder did however sell another male a few years before I had these & im wondering now if the other male was the "daddy!"

I have got another THB male but hes only about 400 grams max. I keep him in with the smaller females as im a bit worried about loosing or steping on him if I let him in with the big ones as their area is very overgrown & ruggid. The females range from 1.6kg smallest to 2.5kg.. do you think he might be able to do the job, with these much bigger females? (that is if you think its due to the male) (don't really want to get another male because of somewhere to quarantine him)

Last edited by burnt toast; 29-06-2014 at 07:49 PM.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

It's most definately the male Lynn Like you thought he may have never been the father of any of the prior hatchlings as it's usually the aggressive males that get the job done.
It can't hurt to try your small male with the females or look for a bigger male. There are plenty of male Hermanns out there

Danny
Old 30-06-2014, 06:40 AM   #3
Suze65
Adult

Do you want to borrow Sammy, he might be old and doddery, but he's still got lead in his pencil

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediterraneansuze View Post
Do you want to borrow Sammy, he might be old and doddery, but he's still got lead in his pencil
Ha ha thanks for the offer Suze. Well I put Hector my young male in with them this afternoon & I think he thought he had died & gone to heaven!! He was soo excited sniffing a leg & biting it all twitchy like a clock work toy. ( I have weighed him too hes a shade under 500 grams)

Mind you I went up to check on them & Hector passed me on the path quicker than Linford Christie being followed by Herbie the old male, who although he wont bite or butt females wont allow other whiper snappers near his hareem & doesn't mind biting or butting males! So we shall have to see how that goes as Herbie is big @ 1.8kg's ( mind you he likes human company so I could keep him occupied for an hour while Hector plays with the females!!)
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Ha ha thanks for the offer Suze. Well I put Hector my young male in with them this afternoon & I think he thought he had died & gone to heaven!! He was soo excited sniffing a leg & biting it all twitchy like a clock work toy. ( I have weighed him too hes a shade under 500 grams)

Mind you I went up to check on them & Hector passed me on the path quicker than Linford Christie being followed by Herbie the old male, who although he wont bite or butt females wont allow other whiper snappers near his hareem & doesn't mind biting or butting males! So we shall have to see how that goes as Herbie is big @ 1.8kg's ( mind you he likes human company so I could keep him occupied for an hour while Hector plays with the females!!)
I've got a picture of all this going on, sounds like Herbie wants his cake but won't eat it lol .

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

That made me giggle. I can just imagine the excited behaviour of Hector. I think he may well have a bit of fun with your ladies, Lynn.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post

You never know, the young one might get the older ones juices going:0)
Just be careful of them fighting, as they can do some nasty nips, especially on the face:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote