Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 08-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #21
yuna1971
Adult

With all due respect, the shop cant be that great. Its a list of things not just one or 2 things that they seem to have have misled you on....

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 08-11-2010 at 03:21 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #22
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

BTW, the guy in the shop hasn't really given you completely duff info, some people do use heat mats but you need to know how to use them in the right way. Your viv is pretty much okay. Most people use topsoil as a substrate, homebase, B+Q etc sell bags of it..sterilised topsoil. As Dan says, you should have been given an Article 10 certificate for the tort
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #23
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

BTW BTW If there is no A10 certificate then there are two possibilities, A) the guy in the shop can't tell the difference between torts and has mistakenly given you a Spur Thigh instead of a Horsfield (certificate not reqd for horsfields) or B) he has deliberately given you a Spur and told you it was a Horsfield because he has no certificate for the Spur. That one isn't legal and I think a serious offence.

Edit> serious offence by the shop I mean. It's a grand looking tort so hope you haven't taken him/her back. If you keep it you need to get the certificate from the shop and if they won't then you need to get in touch with DEFRA to tell them you bought it and no certificate was given, just to keep yourself right like

Last edited by Alan1; 08-11-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #24
claire/taz
Egg

Send a message via MSN to claire/taz

Im so confused guys, she is a beutiful tort her temprement is good no hissing at us when we handle her unlike our friends horsefield that does, her markings are nice and id love to keep her if i new for defanate whaich breed she is!!!
Just so you all no i bought her from a lady at my daughters school who had a 3 year old tort that was realling abusing her and didnt think it was fair to keep her and keep getting abused.
We shall be really sad if we have to get rid of her cuz she is setteling in to her home really well.
Im mad that ive been miss led into thinking this is a horsefield when it isnt.
Thanx for all your oppinions keep em coming plz it all helps...
claire /taz
squirt horse field tort
buster my staffy
miffy the kids rabbit. rip (10-11-2010)
3 chickens
a number of budgies/cockatiels & finches
my 2 baby girls chloe age 5 and lilly 3
my loyal loving partner of 9 years taz xx
claire/taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #25
yuna1971
Adult

Claire, you havent done anything wrong. Just been misled a bit. See Dannys post - put a picture up like he says. You may have a spur thigh and they are lovely, full of personality (as are most torts). Easy to keep too, and dont grow massive. I have one called Lily, he is an Ibera!!
First things first. Put a pic up, we can then help with species/ sub species.
Are you saying that it was a lady (a friend) that you got the tort from...and not a shop, I am a bit confused now??
In terms of Article 10s I am not au fait with this, apart from you need to have one (unless a horsefield), but not sure on the ins, outs, what if's on this. Others will know.
I can help you with resetting up your enclosure, if you need help with that - just PM me or just as good, pop a thread up. It might need some tweaking here and there. Glad the glass is out. People who have vivs sometimes turn them upside down, so that glass is on top - then remove the glass. But you say you have done this, so thats a good start. xx Keep posting on here. Dont give up. YOU WILL get there, ok xxx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #26
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

As Dan says, post pics of the top of the shell and the bottom of the shell and he will be able to ID the sub-species of Spur Thigh.

If someone gives you a tortoise then it works differently from buying one as regards the A10 certificate. Ask the person who sold you the tort to either find it or get a new one done, they are breaking the law if they sell you a tort without one and some dealers or at least one has been jailed and another had a suspended sentence for that kind of thing. If you leave it too long then it will be harder to prove you didn't get the certificate
Old 08-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #27
joanna
Adult

Just read through this, I'm so sorry I was one thinking it was a sulcata. I'm so glad you still have the tortoise. As others have said get some clear photos including the underside and someone will be able to tell you what subspecies it is.
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #28
gregnobes
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna View Post
Just read through this, I'm so sorry I was one thinking it was a sulcata. I'm so glad you still have the tortoise. As others have said get some clear photos including the underside and someone will be able to tell you what subspecies it is.
i think that might be some what my fault u thought it was a sulcata as it does kinda loke like one i mean come on u dont see many spurs that colour
gregnobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #29
claire/taz
Egg

Send a message via MSN to claire/taz

here is more photos of her thanks

squirt horse field tort
buster my staffy
miffy the kids rabbit. rip (10-11-2010)
3 chickens
a number of budgies/cockatiels & finches
my 2 baby girls chloe age 5 and lilly 3
my loyal loving partner of 9 years taz xx
claire/taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #30
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

good pics but the most important photo is the one you missed out, the underside

include the tail area on the underside pics as Dan may be able to tell if male or female