Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 26-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Wanda
Hatched

Default Question about sheds

I have a huge wooden shed at the end of my garden which I am intending to convert to tortoise accomodation. It is a double shed and the smaller of the two parts would be ideal. I have read some good ideas on here re insulation, lighting and heating so feel pretty OK about all of that. What I have wondered about though is if anyone has worked out a way to rodent proof a wooden shed. I live in the country and my garden backs on to a garden centre so we are more than likely to have a number of little furry friends around the place, and with a nice warm insulated shed I should imagine that it would draw them like a magnet.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

I have wondered about this with my shed, but have seen no sign's of rodent's been inside it, although i do a check looking for knaw holes, dropings ect. If your tort's have a section of the area, the other spare end and underneath could be baited, if you suspect rat's or mice.
Old 26-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

If you're using insulating boards couldn't you sandwich chicken wire in between that and the inner walls of the shed?
Old 26-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Wanda
Hatched

Yea I was thinking of using something between the walls and the insulation but was wondering if anyone had suggestions of what. I did consider chicken wire but thought it might be a little bit flimsy and also little field mice could get through the holes of even the small stuff.

I have never actually seen any mice or (heaven forbid) rats, but I would much rather put a bit of thought into prevention rather than have any accidents.
Old 26-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Wanda,

There are lots of different wire meshes available, I find one of the strongest type to be the 12mm square mesh, you could always sandwich this between the boards and the insulation if you want piece of mind. Alternatively have bait traps strategically positioned around the sheds perimiter and or have one of those soinc rodent repellers inside.

Just a few suggestions to help you.

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

As Bindi said usualy when you insulate, boards go ontop, a third skin, this if fitted snug with not many gaps is a deterent for mice, they would have to gnaw through a lot of material to get in. They invade more if there is a food source in there such as animal feed's, grass seed ect.
Old 26-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
Wanda
Hatched

Thanks for all the quick responses. Certainly I have a few ideas now ... and I would certainly invest in a sonic deterrent thing.

Thanks
Old 27-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
tartaruga amore
Sub Adult

trouble with the sonic scarer, is you have no way of knowing if they affect tortoise hearing

is the floor on your shed concrete?, i have 4 sheds in my garden, and there is no housing ect behind me, i dont have trouble with little furries,
but it depends on how solid your floor/walls are

but they do however live under next doors decking

i have found mice/rats will not nest somewere that is always disturbed, so although the might get into your shed to nick stuff, they would not nest
tartaruga amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
Wanda
Hatched

Ah, good thinking about the sonic doodaa.

The floor is not concrete and it is quite an old shed, and I think just imagining what might be living undeneath it was making me paranoid. Anyway, today I have ordered a nice new 6ft x4ft shed and came out of the shop armed with loads of narrow gauge metal mesh and insulating stuff. The new shed can be positioned much nearer the house (lots of noise and movement etc) and I think I will feel happier about furry things. Not only that it can join onto the existing outdoor enclosure which will save a lot of digging and preparation.

Rather than just rush in like I usually do, I am going to really think about the best way to set it up and do lots of reading on here. No doubt I will be asking lots of questions too

Thanks for the answers I have received, I found them very helpful .......... Wish me luck with Project Tortopia !!!
Old 27-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
burnt toast
Adult

Hi Wanda dont bother with the sonic deterrent. We have one in our garage & we have had mice on several occasions, living quite happily with it! I then found it made my sons Guinea pig very nervous! I would try the other ideas & save those pennies
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote