Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 27-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
jeffcook
Egg

I got my solarglo 125w off ebay £29.99 delivered and very well packaged,
the bulb i received was not the bulb on the listing it was the solar glo
professional series, not a clue what the difference is,the only thing i have noticed after a short 8 weeks burning 12 hours a day is the bulb will go dim for a while then back to full brightness, just keeping my fingers crossed.
jeffcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
yuna1971
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolflore View Post
Well, the table is about 5 x 3.5ft, probably a little bigger. Would it be worth going for the 160w? I know it is probably a matter of opinion but I thought I'd ask.

Cheers for everyones help.
I reckon go for the lower wattage one, I think you said was it, 120w?? That table might be a little warm with a 160w on it. At least with the lower wattage, you could probably control the heat by raising it slightly. With a 160 it might end up having to be suspended from your ceiling to get an acceptable temp!!!! Just my opinion, others might disagree - see what others think and go with the majority. xx

As jeffcook said, maybe the 125w solar glo is an option. Remember, its short term. Better things will follow we hope when Arcadia get their product out.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I don't know to be honest. Some people have trouble keeping the temperature down with 160w and others seem to have no problem. I have to have my solarglo 125w 2 inches lower than my 120w megaray to get the same temps. each bulb is not identical either. £30 is not bad at all. I have had about 10 months use out my solarglo and as I said, it's needing renewed now but I've had the same use out of my megaray and it's at an even lower level of UVB than the Solarglo so there you go
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #14
Torterra
Sub Adult

Hi, Yes I got this SolarGlo from eBay for 29.99, it is in silver box with 'professional' written on it . 125W it gives me 32C directly under from the distance of 36cm/ 14Inch. No higher than that.
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #15
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I'd go for the 125 in that size table.
Old 27-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #16
jeffcook
Egg

Hi again, i have just checked my table that is 4 feet x 2 feet the centre of my 125w solarglo bulb is 12 inches from the end of the table and 14 inches off the soil giving 32c the cool end of the table is 22c 3 feet from the centre of the bulb.
I was going to get the 160w as it was the same price as the 125w but i am glad i never as i dont think i would have got such a good temp range on my small table, ideal for my horsfield.
also correct me if i am wrong the higher the bulb the less effective the uv rays or is that just tubes.
Old 27-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #17
Wolflore
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcook View Post
I got my solarglo 125w off ebay £29.99 delivered and very well packaged,
the bulb i received was not the bulb on the listing it was the solar glo
professional series, not a clue what the difference is,the only thing i have noticed after a short 8 weeks burning 12 hours a day is the bulb will go dim for a while then back to full brightness, just keeping my fingers crossed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torterra View Post
Hi, Yes I got this SolarGlo from eBay for 29.99, it is in silver box with 'professional' written on it . 125W it gives me 32C directly under from the distance of 36cm/ 14Inch. No higher than that.
Out of interest I have emailed Hagen to find out if there is a difference between these "Professional" bulbs and the normal ones supplied elsewhere. Out of interest, do either of you still have the boxes?
Wolflore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #18
jeffcook
Egg

yes i kept the box just in case if you need details let me know
jeff
Old 27-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #19
yuna1971
Adult

This is no disrespect to anyone but if it were me, I would buy from a shop or a reputable reptile website. I know - there is a very high percentage that is real and completely legit. But some...are not. Like when you see gucci purses for a fiver!! I dunno..when it comes to things like this, I guess I like to be safe then sorry when it is to do with my tort or their health or wellbeing. Its entirely up to you though.
Please anyone who has bought from ebay (and I have over 250 feedback, as I buy and sell myself) - this isnt a criticism of this, just only what things you read and that some people will try this on. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #20
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

There is no mention of them on here http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/solar_glo.php
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote