Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 29-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #51
yuna1971
Adult

I strongly recommend you invest in a solarmeter 6.2 - its an expensive bit of equipment but IT IS INVALUABLE. I have bought one, got it last month and the reason I bought it is I want to be sure that my Mega Ray was doing what it was supposed to and that Lily was getting good UV from the bulb. (it can be used on any Mercury vapour bulb). It measures how much UV is coming from your bulb.

It is £130 to buy. Quite a few members on here have one.
I am pleased to say, after the testing - my MR was giving out approx 190 uw/cm2 which is fantastic. Bought the bulb in October 2009. By checking again say every few months, I can see how much it goes down...and I will know when to replace it when the UV level drops too low.
By having one of these gadgets - it is the ONLY way you will be able to see if the bulb you have is throwing out acceptable levels of UV for your tort, or if its not very much, or if its nothing at all.
UV is something we cannot see. The bulbs we have, may all look fine, work fine - heat is fine. But unless you check to see that it is giving out the UV that it should, you will never know if there is anything wrong. As on the face of it - its working.

You will also know by testing it at different points of the year, whether your bulb is still performing ok, that the UV is acceptable or if its deteriorating. Once it starts to deteriorate - you need to replace the bulb. (as you know... )
Just some food for thought. I really cant recommend getting one of these enough. You can also take it outside and by pointing at the sun, can see how much UV is in a certain spot. Therefore, you will be able to plan for any outdoor enclosure spots, or even a spot for your tort to roam about in!!

xxx Just thought I would add this to this post.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #52
MeTaLerke
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolflore View Post
And how much is postage to the UK?
DHL freight costs
Prices
to 31 kg £5,00
MeTaLerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #53
Wolflore
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
I strongly recommend you invest in a solarmeter 6.2 - its an expensive bit of equipment but IT IS INVALUABLE. I have bought one, got it last month and the reason I bought it is I want to be sure that my Mega Ray was doing what it was supposed to and that Lily was getting good UV from the bulb. (it can be used on any Mercury vapour bulb). It measures how much UV is coming from your bulb.

It is £130 to buy. Quite a few members on here have one.
I am pleased to say, after the testing - my MR was giving out approx 190 uw/cm2 which is fantastic. Bought the bulb in October 2009. By checking again say every few months, I can see how much it goes down...and I will know when to replace it when the UV level drops too low.
By having one of these gadgets - it is the ONLY way you will be able to see if the bulb you have is throwing out acceptable levels of UV for your tort, or if its not very much, or if its nothing at all.
UV is something we cannot see. The bulbs we have, may all look fine, work fine - heat is fine. But unless you check to see that it is giving out the UV that it should, you will never know if there is anything wrong. As on the face of it - its working.

You will also know by testing it at different points of the year, whether your bulb is still performing ok, that the UV is acceptable or if its deteriorating. Once it starts to deteriorate - you need to replace the bulb. (as you know... )
Just some food for thought. I really cant recommend getting one of these enough. You can also take it outside and by pointing at the sun, can see how much UV is in a certain spot. Therefore, you will be able to plan for any outdoor enclosure spots, or even a spot for your tort to roam about in!!

xxx Just thought I would add this to this post.
A worthy add, thanks. £130 spread out over the lifetime of the tortoise is not a great deal at all. Consider it on my shopping list!

I like the idea of using it to find the best place to get a tan, I mean, er, best place to site a tortoise enclosure
Wolflore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:42 AM   #54
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

The solarmeter 6.2 is expensive but so are the bulbs. Joanathan got a new bulb.. 160w megaray and discovered the UVB was coming out the sides instead of straight down. Without the solarmeter 6.2 he would have gone on with that new £50 bulb not knowing it was completely useless
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #55
Wolflore
Egg

Well we're just off out to buy the bits for the new tortoise table. The Solar meter 6.2 looks to be an invaluable piece of kit indeed. Is there anyone within a short drive of Twickenham that has one I may borrow I wonder...

Thank you all for your help and advice.
Wolflore is offline   Reply With Quote