Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 02-05-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
tommytammy
Egg

Default A new message from Tommy/Tammy

Hi there, I'm new to your site, and my user name is Tommy/Tammy - that's because we weren't sure if we'd be getting a male or female tortoise.

We have just purchased a beautiful 'Horsfield' 18 month old female tortoise. Obviously she is called Tammy, (the supplier did his best to identify her as a girl) although I do know when they are young it is hard to tell which gender they are. This is the first time we have had a tortoise and there are many questions I need to ask in order to keep Tammy as healthy as she should be. I hope you don't mind helping me with the answers.

We have had, and still have many furry pets, but is was my 12 year old son that came up with the idea for a tortoise. I must say I never knew that they were so SWEET! Tammy is lovely, and both my Mum and I are very 'maternal' to her. Everyone that has seen her thinks she is lovely. She goes to sleep when you sing her a lullaby, she always wants to be playing out of her home with us and being fussed, likes being stroked under the chin, likes being hand fed, and goes to bed and wakes up at the same time as my son (as she is living in his bedroom). She is very playful and bright eyed. Do you know of anything I can give her to entertain her in her tank?

We expected to have to wait a couple of years to get her because we couldn't afford her and the tank, etc, etc. However we only had to wait 2 weeks. I put an advert on one of our local freecycle sites for suitable housing, and equipment. The next day I got a reply back to say that a lady had the housing and equipment that we needed. We have a 3ft tank at present, but don't panic, the tank has no covering on it, so it doesn't cause any humidity, which I know can be dangerous to certain tortoises. Also at the moment she is only about 4 inches big, so she has plenty of room. We managed to get our tortoise through a local, reputable supplier, with the help of a kind contribution, and the rest we put to ourselves. We didn't have to pay anything for the tank.

We wanted to take her into the garden on the warmer summer days, but we have been told by somebody that you can't take tortoises into the garden until they are 4 years old, and have had a special vaccination - Is this correct.

Also we have been told, that because she lives indoors in her tank, she doesn't need to be hibernated - Is this correct?

I am not sure if my tank set-up is that suitable to a 'Horsfield' tortoise though. I seem to think it may be more set up for a woodland type tortoise. Correct me if I am wrong, but is a 'Horsfield tortoise naturally from the desert?

The UVA/B tube I have is 5.0, and 20 watt - should I have a 10. tube?

Also I have a 100 watt spotlight - should I have a 75watt?

The substrate she has at the moment is like a fine bark grating. It keeps very dry, which I know is important - but is it right for Tammy? I am allergic to Hay, so I do not think alfalfa substrate is such a good idea. Is there anything else which is safe for her.

How often should she be bathed. We have been told by our supplier, once every two weeks, and just with tepid water. However I have heard from other owners, that every few days, using a toothbrush on the tortoises back with special cleaner? Can you advise?

Could you also advise on what she should eat, I have been given a few ideas, but would value other people's input also.

I have tried giving her cuttle fish to keep her 'beak' sharp and short, but she is not interested in it.

She sometimes looks a bit 'dry' at the top of her nose, and her shell. Am I missing something?

I have been giving her 'Nutrobal' calcium balancer and multivitamin supplement, although this says to give her a pinchful per 1 kilo of food, but I don't give her that much. Does anyone have any ideas- and also how much should she have on how many days?

Are there any other supplements etc I should be giving her?

I have been hearing about seeds also, do I buy these and then grow them myself for her to eat?

Does anyone know of a good reputable on line stockist for such things, (as well as Shelled Warriors), as I need to mail order, as I don't have transport.

I don't think there is anything else that I need to ask at this moment in time, but if you can think of anything I would be really grateful.

I'd love to hear from you all, about your tortoises and their antics. Please email me or reply to me on the forum - that would be great. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Tommy/Tammy xxx
tommytammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
70ridgeway
Adult

hello and welcome to shelled warriors as you said you have a tank a tort table is much healthier for as she can see through the glass and will try to go throuh it a table is easy to make or purchase from sw most use a 70%soil 30% playsand for substrate she can go in the garden in a secure enclouser she will benefit from the uv and i dont know about vaccinatons also all torts that hibernate should be i would get a 10.0 uv or a combined heat uvb bulb which can be purchased from kimbos.When i first purchased wilma i bathed her every day for a month now i do her every other but thats my personal choice to do that the best thing to feed her is weeds weeds and more weeds also what temp i have a cool end at around 20 and basking area about 30
70ridgeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Welcome to shelled warriors, lots of helpful people here to help when needed.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
linda
Adult

hi and welcome to sw

please have a good read around our forum then come back with any questions you have
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Dr.Dolittle
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Dr.Dolittle

Hi and welcome to SW!
DD
Dr.Dolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

bloody helll and i thought my introduction wa slong

as joanne has said, a tortoise table is ideal and will be much more benifical to the tortoise in the long run.

i young one should be bathed more often. I would take what you were told from a shop with a large handful of salt and normally anyone that stands to make a profit from you will say anyhting to get your money.

the important thing is you did do your research tot he best of your ability and you did do a good job.....and you know have him/her.

sure someone else along with joannes advise can aid you better (not really the tortoise person to tell you)
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
70ridgeway
Adult

i feel really important never gave advise before yeehee
70ridgeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Welcome to Shelled Warriors

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
tommytammy
Egg

Default Thanks for replies

Hi, it's Tommy/Tammy here again.

Not so long this time (lol). Just to say thank you to everyone who's replied to me. Remember any more info gratefully received.

Bye 4 now.

xxx

PS- my real name is ANGELA
tommytammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
sandy
Adult

Well I am not sure who told you tortoises cant go out into the garden until they are four<g>.
As what do they do in the wild when they hatch<g>?
My hatchlings from last August were outside two days after they hatched. They get far better
UV from sunlight/bright light outside than they do from any artificial UV we give them.

It would be better to ask your questions in the med or other tortoises section if possible please.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote