Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 31-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
RacingSnake
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to RacingSnake
Default There is a mouse in our house!

We had the cctv on the picture-in-picture on our tv, and i said to sam, "the tortoises are up and about late?", so i zoomed in, and it was a god damned mouse running around in there
It went up to valentino (who was asleep), had a sniff then ran off.
I legged it outside with a torch and the dog, but it was nowhere to be seen.
The covers were all intact, and i can see no evidence of mouse activity.

But it does worry me! Should we be concerned?!
It was a mouse and not a rat, but even so?

What do we think?
    {_}-{_}                    {_}-{_}
RacingSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
Rowan
Sub Adult

My personal opinion, and this is only my opinion and the choice is always yours. I'd bring them if they were mine....

I had a horrid experience of a rat attack on my 3 torts as a child. I know rats are larger than mice but it's just my opinion.

See what others have to say too.

Row xx
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
burnt toast
Adult

Im sure I have read of rodent attacks, mainly during hibernation (both rats & mice) I know a rat would attack a tort out of hibernation, not sure about mice, but I personally wouldnt take the risk. As its coming to the end of the summer id bring them in.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Mice can get in unbelievably small gaps and so can rats though obviously not as small gaps as mice. I saw a rat cross the road and go into a wall halfway up and I had to get out the car to examine where it had actually gone as it just seemed to disappear. The hole was tiny
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
kreacher
Sub Adult

we get mice in our outside runs all the time...we literally live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by woods and fields so we get all sorts coming in...we have animal proofed it as far as foxes and badgers and hedgehogs and stuff but little mice get in through the tiniest of gaps we couldnt possible stop them. They have never hurt any of our animals they just have a sniff about and go off again...they are so quick that by the time the tortoise has realised there is something there they have run off..!! our water monitor who lives outside permanently and eats defrosted mice on a regular basis takes absolutely no notice of them at all...if we had rats I would start to panic but mice have proved to be no problem at all to us
kreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
anna m
Adult

I would be scared of mice or rats coming near the boys

Last edited by anna m; 27-09-2011 at 04:07 PM.
anna m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
Mice can get in unbelievably small gaps and so can rats though obviously not as small gaps as mice. I saw a rat cross the road and go into a wall halfway up and I had to get out the car to examine where it had actually gone as it just seemed to disappear. The hole was tiny
I remember my Dad saying he'd seen rats get through a hole, not much bigger than a pencil & I laughed at him, he said I could scoff but he'd seen it. so maybe it was true Alan & he hadnt been drinking
Old 01-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
RacingSnake
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to RacingSnake

After investigating this morning, the only place I can think is where I've got the lid which surrounds the house butting up to the canopy on the porch, there is a small gap where the apex of the porch roof is - it is big enough, but I can't see how the mouse would get back up to it if it got in through the gap, it is probably 6 inches off the floor height?

Will keep an eye out over the coming nights and bulk up the sealing this weekend.
    {_}-{_}                    {_}-{_}
RacingSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingSnake View Post
After investigating this morning, the only place I can think is where I've got the lid which surrounds the house butting up to the canopy on the porch, there is a small gap where the apex of the porch roof is - it is big enough, but I can't see how the mouse would get back up to it if it got in through the gap, it is probably 6 inches off the floor height?

Will keep an eye out over the coming nights and bulk up the sealing this weekend.
It would have no trouble with 6". We had mice in our garage a few years ago during a very cold winter. You would be surprised how agile & good climbers they are! I had to move guinea pig food off a 5 foot shelf & they even managed to get up pipes into the loft!!