Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 02-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #11
Hanako
Hatchling

I saw stinging nettles on some tortoise website (maybe tortoise table or similar website) marked as safe to feed. But I thought that even though it may be safe (as in non poisonous), there may be some trick to make it easier for them. Something like for example freeze it and then defrost it, or leave it to wilt for several hours, or maybe try somehow to flatten the spikes that sting (putting something flat and heavy on each leaf to flatten those stings so that they don't sting) ... Those are just my (maybe completely ridiculous) ideas, but if someone already tried something that worked, I would really love to know. By the way, I haven't tried those three ideas that I named above. If anyone has tried, can you let me know if it works, please.
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #12
Catwoman63
Adult

It's a no no for me to pick, but do have a bit growing in the garden but none of my torts touch as far as I'm aware x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #13
burnt toast
Adult

I have taken to wearing a leather glove on my left hand when I go weedpicking to try & get stung by nettles less! It was funny about a fortnight ago I was tootling along picking weds & heard a young girl ask her mom about my glove, mom rushed her off saying not to be so rude & whispering "The lady has probably had her hand amputated"!! Made me smile.

Anyway I have heard of people zapping them in the microwave to kill the sting, 30 seconds. I have also never fed them but don't think they would be a problem judging y the bite marks in some of my cactus in the greenhouse, many of which have 1" spikes on them!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:11 PM   #14
geordie mark
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to geordie mark

I pulled some thistle and nettles from the garden yesterday and the leopard loved them the hermann not so much. Never touched the dead nettle.

T.H.Hercegvenensis 1.0.0
S.P. Babcocki 0.1.0
Chelonoidis Carbonaria 0.1.0 (My Parents)
West Highland White Terrier 1.0.0
Scottish Terrier 1.0.0
geordie mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #15
CherryBrandy
Adult

I don't think the dead nettle (purple flowers?) sting as I have just pulled up loads and not got stung and the torts are a munching. Did have gloves on not that brave and not sure on what constitutes white nettle, red nettle etc though could guess ! Apparently if you want the sting out of stinging nettles you have to pick and leave for a couple of hours. (then make tea) Saying that though I read years ago it doesn't affect tortoises mouths. they have excellent health qualities for humans but not tested that theory either or for tortoises? Red nettle grows mad though.....
Old 10-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #16
yuna1971
Adult

White dead nettle (white flowers/square looking stem) and Pink dead nettle (pink flowers/small looking plant) both edible (flowers and leaves) and don't sting. The give away are the flowers. It's hit and miss I find with Lily...mixed with other weeds he might nibble but the plants do have a distinctive smell and I think this can put some off. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #17
CherryBrandy
Adult

that's interesting rach, I didn't know they smelt. Mine are huge! at least 3 -4 foot high with big leaves and not good on colour but thought purple - just looked purple dead nettle up and there are lots of colours to choose from ! and they are part of the mint family - wow never knew that - hence why they probably smell! Do you think the tortoises get excited as us about weeds. is it just me? sorry
Old 10-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #18
vikki
Hatched

Herbie seemed to like them at one time (although he will never eat the flowers!) but at the moment doesn't seem to want them - I wonder if the taste changes as the plant develops etc?
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #19
CherryBrandy
Adult

don't get me started on gooseberry leaves either (think it is wild ) (or livid) - I cut them up for their breakfast they go nuts!
Old 10-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #20
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki View Post
Herbie seemed to like them at one time (although he will never eat the flowers!) but at the moment doesn't seem to want them - I wonder if the taste changes as the plant develops etc?
yes I reckon you are right because small they won't touch them and big they are all eating. May try the cut them up small for breakfast trick same as gooseberry leaves....