Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 18-09-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
felix93
Egg

Default INDIAN STAR

Are they difficult to look after? I am ready to give home to another species. I only have Hermans the most common one. And INDIAN STAR have really caught my eyes. I have checked out some caresheets on the net and it seems okay for me to learn how to look after one. But I would like to know what their habits / personalities (is that the words) are like, such as are they active? or are they pretty laid back etc.

If I decided to have INDIAN STAR do I have to have a pair or just one? I always believe to have a pair at least because I hate them feeling lonely while I cannot be with them 24 /7.

One more thing does anyone know any breeders?

If anyone can give me some advise, I would be appreciated.

4.0.0 Yellow Bellied Slider, 2.1.0 Peninsula Cooter, 2.1.0 African Helmeted, 1.0.0 False Map, 0.0.3 Razorback Musk, 1.0.0 Chinese Softshell, 0.1.0 C.American Painted, 1.1.0 White Lipped Mud
felix93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #2
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Indian Stars are brilliant tortoises and I know Darren keeps them so he will advise I'msure. As for a breeder Marcus Langford breeds them. Heres his website
http://www.leeardern.com/~marcus/index.htm

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
saucysqueezy
Incubating

lol Henry beat me to it, we're planning to get Indian Stars and Marcus was recommended to us - he's sound and very supportive so you won't be left without any help if something goes wrong
Old 19-09-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
imported_Lowe
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to imported_Lowe

They're generally very shy and can also be tricky to breed. Husbandry is a little more involved than other tortoises since you're best trying to mimic the wet seasons and such. Remember they dont hibernate either!
imported_Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
saucysqueezy
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe
They're generally very shy and can also be tricky to breed. Husbandry is a little more involved than other tortoises since you're best trying to mimic the wet seasons and such. Remember they dont hibernate either!
how do you mimic the wet seasons (I had an image of a very large watering can lol)
Old 19-09-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
felix93
Egg

Thanks for the reply, I will have a look with the link too.

I would like to have a tort I don't have to worry the hibernate every single Winter. So that's why I chose Indian Stars. And I don't mind whether they breed or not, because my knowledge of breeding torts are limited and I don't think I would want to breed from them, just let the nature takes the cause I think.

4.0.0 Yellow Bellied Slider, 2.1.0 Peninsula Cooter, 2.1.0 African Helmeted, 1.0.0 False Map, 0.0.3 Razorback Musk, 1.0.0 Chinese Softshell, 0.1.0 C.American Painted, 1.1.0 White Lipped Mud
Old 19-09-2006, 02:43 PM   #7
newforestmum
Hatchling

I have been to Marcus Langfords house and seen his adult and baby Indian Stars. Marcus is a really nice guy I have purchased Iberas from him and he is very happy to help out with advice etc

newforestmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 03:49 PM   #8
imported_Lowe
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to imported_Lowe

If hibernations the concern, why not a Redfoot or perhaps something like a Tunisian? Far friendlier and have bags of character.
imported_Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 06:19 PM   #9
felix93
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe
If hibernations the concern, why not a Redfoot or perhaps something like a Tunisian? Far friendlier and have bags of character.
I don't know, I suppose it's Indian Stars caught my eyes for ages. I still consider to have other species, I want to do as much reseach as I can before I really make my final decision I guess.

Old 19-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #10
piglet
Adult

Hi Felix
As said in the previous post on this thread i keep stars they are beautiful tortoises.
My group consist of 2.3 adult animals they live predominantly in a 6ftx4ft table enclosure with access to a grass run on warm clear days which i must say they don't take well to really.
Substrate in the table consists of dry top soil mixed with hemp and dry bark chips, a damp area of good top soil is provided at 10inches in depth for them to nest in which actually is frequented by the group regularly as a basking site.
Breeding well some literature will tell you stars are shy and difficult to breed this is old and really out dated, Stars are a lot more commonly found in captivity nowadays and people are starting to breed them it was believed and may be this information was correct in its time as many stars were wild caught and programmed to a natural cycle they need a wet period to replicate the monsoon that would occur in there natural habitat but i have found this not necessary at all.
I have been really lucky this year with three clutches of eggs two clutches laid last night of my larger females and the first laid a few weeks ago which one egg is fertile so fingers crossed for my next to clutches .
What would you like to no about stars i find them very active rarely hiding away, mine come from a customs confiscated group in Hong Kong so when they first arrived they were timid which after the dreadful time they had just experienced I don't blame them but now they are full of character i actually helped one female dig her nest .
anything else please ask.
Darren
PS Marcus is very good highly recommended.

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote