Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 13-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #11
leggy
Sub Adult

try reptile forums shelled section,theres a couple of people that rehome terrapins on there.they travel from norhern england to scotland or london.

leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #12
Graham
Hatched

Quote:
Any advice would be much appreciated on what to do next or who to contact.
What area are you in?

Edit: OK, just seen that Lynn says you're in Chesterfield, should have read more carefully!

You could try contacting lincolnshire_turtle_rescue@msn.com, they would collect from your area.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #13
Fred
Egg

Thanks for the advice I have emailed the turtle rescue today so will wait to hear from them.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 10:27 PM   #14
Fred
Egg

We have come to the conclusion that nobody is going to claim our Red Eared Slider and are hoping that someone on this forum could offer her a knowledgable home. Please contact me if you can as I am getting really worried about her not eating and not really sure what I'm doing.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 11:33 PM   #15
Graham
Hatched

What are you feeding her? Are you putting the food in the water? They will normally only eat in the water, and often only floating food, depending on how she's been kept and fed she may not even recognise what you are giving her as food!
The Red Belly that I recently gave a new home to took 3 weeks to get onto the balanced diet that I wanted her to eat, for the first week she'd eat nothing but dried shrimp, and then only reluctantly.
The trick is to try a variety of foods, raw lean meat, fish, Koi pellets, pond snails and vegetation (which she may be eating already without you knowing!). It's unlikely she'll starve herself to death, if what you're giving her is edible she will eat it eventually when she gets hungry enough, but they can go weeks without food.

Did you not get a reply from Turtle Rescue?

You might try some other rescue centres from this list http://www.animalrescuers.co.uk/html/reptilesetc.html
Old 21-05-2007, 09:44 AM   #16
chris_walton
Sub Adult

hi fourtorts

have you spoken to (tpg)ali about this as im having de ja vue reading this thread only she phoned me up the other day asking me if i would rehome this same slider

chris x x
chris_walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #17
fourtorts
Incubating

Hi, Does anyone know what happened to this turtle as I have emailed the lady and haven't had a reply. I would love to know the outcome...

my doggy daycare web

http://www.littledoggydaycare.co.uk/index.php
fourtorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #18
Lloyd
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to Lloyd

graham youre are quit right im saying it will only eat in water , but that is because it can only eat in water as turtles have no tongue and use the water to swallow, as for floating food ive never found a turtle that will only eat floating food they should quite happily eat whether the food is floating or submerged.

Also Please please dont cal the rspca they are a clueless bunch and will more than likely put it down for no reason at all, i had a chinese softshell brought to me by them and they told me they thought it was a red ear with really bad mbd!!!!! muppets.

Hope youve found her a home now fred.

Lloyd
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:06 PM   #19
Graham
Hatched

Quote:
they should quite happily eat whether the food is floating or submerged.
True, they should eat both floating and sunken food, but depending on how they've been fed before they may not recognise sunken food and may only eat floating food.
I had a RES that I looked after for a few weeks and it would only eat floating food, once the food had sunk it showed no interest at all, it would investigate it on the bottom of the tank then go back to looking for floating food!