Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 13-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
MoggyW
Egg

Default Hibernation Worries

Hi All,

We have had Alan for 10 years now, he is a good weight, still growing slowly and eating TONS. We have hibernated him in the fridge each year with great success - he never loses any weight, seems to properly go down, and wakes up and eats fine.

This year, we had have identified him from his certificate and from experienced people looking at him as a Tunisian species. I was horrified to find that they don't actually hibernate, and thought we must have been torturing him every year in the fridge!!

This time of year he lives in a 4 ft table, so we have kept the light on with a fresh bulb (?12 hours a day), ensured his gradient is about 20 - 40, and he STILL appears to be going to sleep. We still bath him, but basically have to wake him up for it, he's not eating at all, he's a good weight and we're nearing the time I'd normally box him up.

Should I be doing what we've always done, which has worked fine, even though we're pretty sure he is of a non hibernating species!?
MoggyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoggyW View Post
Hi All,

We have had Alan for 10 years now, he is a good weight, still growing slowly and eating TONS. We have hibernated him in the fridge each year with great success - he never loses any weight, seems to properly go down, and wakes up and eats fine.

This year, we had have identified him from his certificate and from experienced people looking at him as a Tunisian species. I was horrified to find that they don't actually hibernate, and thought we must have been torturing him every year in the fridge!!

This time of year he lives in a 4 ft table, so we have kept the light on with a fresh bulb (?12 hours a day), ensured his gradient is about 20 - 40, and he STILL appears to be going to sleep. We still bath him, but basically have to wake him up for it, he's not eating at all, he's a good weight and we're nearing the time I'd normally box him up.

Should I be doing what we've always done, which has worked fine, even though we're pretty sure he is of a non hibernating species!?
I used to have a tunisian female who I hibernated without any problems:0)
If its the norm for him, I would continue, and just keep a closer eye on him:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
I used to have a tunisian female who I hibernated without any problems:0)
If its the norm for him, I would continue, and just keep a closer eye on him:0)
I agree 100% with Sandy as to mess about with trying to keep him up will cause stress to you all.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 03:07 AM   #4
MoggyW
Egg

Ah thanks guys, it certainly seems like the right thing to do, so that's what we shall do!

Alan the weirdo!
MoggyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
Suze65
Adult

Maybe you could post a picture of him and someone here could confirm his species.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote