Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 07-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
Stan
Egg

Default Septicemia in a hibernating tortoise?

Hi, I am hoping someone can offer some advise. I have a tortoise in who is 5 weeks into hibernation.
I have checked on the tortoise, and there appears to be bruising on the carapace.
Would this likely be septicemia?

I am aware that if i wake him up, then an infection (if present) would likely spread rapidly. so i am reluctant to take him out before contacting a vet.

Does anyone have any experience from this that they can share, until I hear back from exotic vet?

I have a picture but think i need more posts
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I think you might need 5 posts total but try it anyway, or post three more posts
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

sorry to hear this you must be very worried. I think the vet will say to bring him in asap, perhaps with minimal disturbance, but I wonder why you suspect septicaemia rather than anything else? Was there an event or blunt force trauma ?

post / copy so that you reach 5 posts quicker then you can post a picky if you think we can assist , CB
Old 11-01-2019, 09:00 PM   #4
burnt toast
Adult

Yes unfortunately it's 100% possible for sceptacemia to develop during hibernation.

I would wake him slowly, hydrate & warm steadily. He needs an urgent vet visit for antibiotics (probably Fortum, it you can get it) keep tort warm 24/7 whilst he's taking the meds, as it will boost his immune system.

Your vet needs to check him over thoroughly as this illness is usually a secondary condition .

(One of mine had it due to a cracked plastron which let gram negative bacteria enter)
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #5
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Yes unfortunately it's 100% possible for sceptacemia to develop during hibernation.

I would wake him slowly, hydrate & warm steadily. He needs an urgent vet visit for antibiotics (probably Fortum, it you can get it) keep tort warm 24/7 whilst he's taking the meds, as it will boost his immune system.

Your vet needs to check him over thoroughly as this illness is usually a secondary condition .

(One of mine had it due to a cracked plastron which let gram negative bacteria enter)
Agree with this

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:04 PM   #6
Yvonne G
Hatched

I just read about this on another site. Turns out the tortoise went into hibernation with food in his stomach. He was treated and it turned out well.