Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 25-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
GemJam
Incubating

Default Whistling tort

Hi all,

I have a 2 years and 10 month old Hermann. My tortoise has started making a whistling noise when breathing. It's not all the time, but is noticeable.

I have stripped her enclosure of soil, cleaned everything and laid down newspaper. With just her water bowl and nothing else, to avoid any spread of bacteria etc.

She isn't breathing with her mouth open just making a whistling noise. I can't see if her nose is blocked, there is no runny nose and her eyes are bright and shiny.

She is booked in to see the vet on Saturday, should I book her in sooner? Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks,

Gemma

1 Hermanns Tortoise - Hettie
GemJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

This is a hard one. I have two Hermann females who whistle. Charlotte I have had about 7 years & like you I took her to the vets who could find nothing wrong.

Another very old lady I rehomed more recently & her owner of 20 years said she has always whistled (never seen a vet, never been ill)

It makes them easier to find when they're hiding in the greenhouse!

Its worth getting her checked out & keeping a close eye but some just "do" whistle.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
GemJam
Incubating

Thank you, that is quite reassuring.

I went on holiday for a week and a friend, who also keeps torts, popped round everyday to feed and give her fresh water. So I was very worried when I came back and noticed she had started whistling!

She was booked in for her first vet visit anyway, was just wondering if I should bring it forward.

I will see how she goes. She isn't happy with me as her enclosure is very boring now!! Keeps giving me evil eyes. Haha.

1 Hermanns Tortoise - Hettie
GemJam is offline   Reply With Quote