Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 17-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
Mogthefrog
Egg

Default hermans or horsfield

Hi
I am hoping to get a tortoise for xmas can you tell me if there is any difference in level of difficulty in keeping (just wondered as I am only 13) and would like to start off the correct way

thanks

Mollie xxxx
Mogthefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Molly, don't keep Horsfield, but they are similar in keeping to Herman's, Horsfield tort's like to dig more, a table enclosure at first about 3ft to 4ft by 2 to 3ft and 18" 24" deep would last a while, the depth is for a topsoil substrate at least 6" deep so a Horsfield can dig down at night or when need's to, Hermans usualy just bury enough to cover the shell. Have a look at the Housing, feeding sections, and ask whatever you like on here.
Old 17-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
purplelynn
Sub Adult

I was in a similar dilemma in August- I went for Horsfield as I was told they were best for beginners and am loving my tortoise. The main thing I have ound is the need for deep substrate for digging and care that the sides are high enough as he is very keen to climb and tunnel.

I think as long as you do the research and ask for advice along the way you will be fine - others on here will advise you better than me but which ever you decide I am sure you'll be fine and love your new pet
purplelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Mogthefrog
Egg

Thanks to both of you, I will keep on looking and reading about both types. Any more help would be great.

Mollie

xx
Mogthefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Katie-n-spoon
Hatched

id have to say hermans but then again i am biased lol xx

2.1.0 hermanns- Spoon, Wilfee, Hermie
1.1.0 tunisians- Daisy, Buttercup
0.1.0 dogs- Ripley
0.1.0 cat- Chloe- rip sweetie
Katie-n-spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
shellonia
Sub Adult

I would say hermanns,they have a nice nature.I believe Horsfields are very easy to keep(if you can keep them!!)Their tendency to climb anything and tunnel underneath barriers means that you have to be one step ahead with their escapologist tendencies.My daughter keeps them and is always bemoaning that she can't find one only to have him reappear days later from who knows where.For the sake of enjoyment while you are new to toroise keeping I would go for hermanns.Welcome anyway Mollie
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

That could get the pro Horsfield keeper's going
Old 18-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
daveg
Incubating

I think hermanns are nicer babies but horsfields are nicer adults.. I decided that as most of there life is as an adult, i'd get horsfields... Plus I felt sorry for them as people seem to pick the prettier hermanns as babies!!

For the record I read the usual habits of horsfields and prepared for them with high sided enclousres in and out etc etc but I rarely find Winston trying to escape or burrowing to deep.. He's had his odd climbing momments outside and likes to dig as deep as his shell but inside he never digs. Just sits there looking quite content under his heatlamp with the occasional bomb around his rocks and logs to break the days sleeping and eating up!!!!.... I guess every tortoise is different though....

Last edited by daveg; 18-11-2009 at 12:28 AM.
daveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
ibizathetort
Adult

Team Horsfield! haha

They are full of character, so hardy and cheeky little buggers
ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogthefrog View Post
Hi
I am hoping to get a tortoise for xmas can you tell me if there is any difference in level of difficulty in keeping (just wondered as I am only 13) and would like to start off the correct way

thanks

Mollie xxxx
I am also biased. I had the same dilemma and chose Hermanns and don't regret it. Horsfields will require more secure outdoor enclosures as they can dig their way out. I've also noticed a lot of people struggling to keep them awake at this time of year if not hibernating them.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote