Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 29-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
_simon_
Incubating

Default Horsefield or Hermann better suited?

I've been reading today that horsefields aren't a very suitable tortoise for keeping indoors at all, I think mainly because they like to dig so much.

Would a Hermann be a better choice? Obviously I will provide outdoor space but I'd like a tortoise that doesn't have to live outside year round.

Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong species altogether, I'm not sure!
Mexican Red Knee Tarantula
Peach Faced & Sea Green Lovebirds
Yemen Chameleon, Blue Tongue Skink, Tokay Gecko
1300L Outdoor Turtle Pond: Yellow Belly Slider, Peninsula Cooter, 2 False Maps
_simon_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I would say a hermann would be better suited. Others will disagree of course if they have horsfields but if you read up on horsfields you will find they do like to dig and can dig down as far as 5 feet which can also be a problem outdoors if you don't have barriers in place to stop it
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
Neddy
Sub Adult

Hi Simon,

There is no such thing as an indoor tortoise, all animals are kept indoors by human choice

I have a leopard tortoise (they are a large species) at the moment he has the run of our kitchen/diner. And has a 6ft x 3ft table on the floor which has a flap so he can come and go as he pleases.

He stays indoors for the winter but in the summer he is in the garden from 7am till 7pm (obviously depending on weather).

You are not going to find anywhere that says any species tortoise is an ideal indoor pet, so go for what you want

xx Sara xx
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
_simon_
Incubating

You've got me thinking. Why is it widely accepted that tortoises and turtles can/should have outside time but with other things such as snakes and lizards this isn't considered? I know some people take their snake in the garden with them now and again but that's slightly different. Is it simply because tortoises and turtles CAN survive in our climate outdoors?

On another note, I notice people selling tortoises at various ages. Is there an age range I should avoid, perhaps when they're more delicate?
Mexican Red Knee Tarantula
Peach Faced & Sea Green Lovebirds
Yemen Chameleon, Blue Tongue Skink, Tokay Gecko
1300L Outdoor Turtle Pond: Yellow Belly Slider, Peninsula Cooter, 2 False Maps

Last edited by _simon_; 29-04-2011 at 10:38 PM.
_simon_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
Neddy
Sub Adult

I think it would be hard going for them Simon, hence why they need both

We were meant to get a horsefield originally but Dave's mum got him from the shop and didn't realise there were so many species Funny really because we wouldn't be without him now no matter how big he gets lol

I do love hermans though, and if I was to have a different type I would go for herman.

Cheers

Sara
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
indian star
Incubating

indian star got to be!
indian star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 11:57 PM   #7
littlemonster
Egg

I'd imagine most people with the non-hibernating species keep theirs indoors during winter anyway? Perhaps worth a look if you have room

Regarding the difference with snakes etc, I think it's probably partially a safety issue - obviously with snakes and lizards (I see you have some by your sig!) they have a habit of squishing out of smaller gaps than people expect so you'd have to be much more careful with air vents etc, whereas tortoise shells don't generally squish very well..

I'd also say it's probably a space issue too - most people don't have sufficient space indoors for a fully grown tortoise to roam, whereas a lot of snakes are better in a smaller environment (not sure about lizards on that one?). Probably also largely perception though - people have had garden tortoises for generations so it's widely accepted and known know how they do outdoors, whereas people would have to potentially risk other reptiles to figure it out.
littlemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
lisalass
Hatched

simon horsfields simply rock
and are a good tort to keep
mine is kept outside with a heated hutch
safe enclosure
and i dont hibernate him my choice
lisalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by _simon_ View Post
I've been reading today that horsefields aren't a very suitable tortoise for keeping indoors at all, I think mainly because they like to dig so much.

Would a Hermann be a better choice? Obviously I will provide outdoor space but I'd like a tortoise that doesn't have to live outside year round.

Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong species altogether, I'm not sure!
Horsfields don't have to live outside all year round, they are no different to Hermanns or Iberas in that respect, it's simply that they all benefit from being outdoors as much as possible when conditions suit.

I don't know where the having to live outdoors all year round thing came from because in the wild, Horsfields are only on the go for about 4 months, they can spend up to 8 months hibernating and during the time they are not hibernating they can be active for only 15 minutes per day because of extreme heat so if you let them live in your garden all year round they would obviously hibernate when cold enough. Lots of people bring them in to hibernate or to overwinter them so either way they will be indoors for at least 6 months. interesting horsfield article http://russiantortoise.org/diet_research.htm
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
Beverley
Adult

Snakes etc are generally not taken outside as they could be lost easily. On warm days I take my beardie outside for a run around. Of course all pets we keep should have the right to get outdoors but it's not always possible. Most of my torts except the Stars get out most days over the summer, the Stars do if it's really warm. They love the sun, no bulb matches it and of course the space which gives exercise and is more natural for them.