Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 22-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
Ludrup
Egg

Default Hermann sex problems!!

Hi

I have two 6 year old Hermann's that I had assumed were both female. This is what we were told by the breeder, but they also got on very well together.

Just before going into hibernation, one of them started humping the other one an awful lot, along with the squeaks and open mouth.

I have had a closer look a tthem both, and now think that they must both be male. The first two photos are of the "humper":

[IMG][/IMG]

These two photos are of the one being humped:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

If one (or both) are males, that is a real pain as they will need to be kept separately. At the moment they are both in the same table; their outdoor run not being ready for them yet.

Thanks
L
Ludrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Gordon
Adult

Both look like males to me. It is not a garenteed thing when people say they were incubated to be female and I wish people would stop doing it.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

I'd say that they're both male too. I'm amazed they've got to six years old without any mating behaviour showing earlier. When my male juveniles were two years old they were at it and had to be separated.
As yours have got on well, it may be possible that you could add 'sight-breakers' to their table to give them areas where they aren't constantly seeing one another until it's warm enough for them to go outside.
I made 'bunk-style' tables for my males, so they could have a table each without taking up any more floor space. They have their own enclosures outside too.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 05:37 PM   #4
Ludrup
Egg

Unfortunately, I suspect you are both right!!
Emma - would it be possible to see pics of how you have arranged your bunk beds and sight breakers?
Old 22-02-2016, 06:41 PM   #5
Suze65
Adult

I agree, both male

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludrup View Post
Unfortunately, I suspect you are both right!!
Emma - would it be possible to see pics of how you have arranged your bunk beds and sight breakers?
I don't have sight breakers because my males all have their own table each, but I'll pop a photo on of the bunk tables.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 22-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
emma_mcraf
Adult

In the meantime, these tables are a great example as they are bunks with sight breakers, so better as an example than mine.

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ht=Bunk&page=4

Hope it helps to give you an idea.

Old 22-02-2016, 10:19 PM   #8
Ludrup
Egg

Brilliant. Thanks Emma
Old 22-02-2016, 10:31 PM   #9
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I agree with Gordon - why do breeders insist on saying the tortoises will be female? The answer, sadly, is to get sales.

Incubation temperatures have an effect on the distribution of sexes of the offspring but it's not a simple question of getting the right number on the thermometer. Firstly the effect is on the AVERAGE number of females and males produced. Secondly the important thing is to incubate at a temperature that is healthy for the eggs - not a determination to produce females.

For most species, the best results are obtained if the incubation temperature is maintained between 30C and 31.5C. Aiming towards the upper end will normally produce more females but if it goes above the top end we risk harm to the developing tortoise.

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 22-02-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 07:21 AM   #10
Gordon
Adult

Like Jonathan says people do it to get more sales as for some reason people seem to prefer females.
When I sell babies people always ask what sex they are and my answer is they were incubated at a higher temperature but it's no guarantee they will be female unlike a lot of people who say they will be female.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote