Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 22-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Catwoman63
Adult

Default Change of Career

I am being made redundant from my well paid job in October with a possibility of further employment with the same company under the new build if we get the investors funding but........ i have thought long and hard about what i want to do, my redundancy will be a nice little wedge and I have previous qualifications in Animal subjects so......

I have booked 2 dates in June and July on open days at the Writtle Animal College in Chelmsford and the Royal Veterinary College in Hertfordshire as i have looked into beginning first of all a veterinary nurse assistant qualification which is a 1 year course then progressing onto the Veterinary Nursing Qualification which is 2 years. I understand i need to get a work placement, but think they said they could find one for me. i feel quite excited about it!

I could get by on my redundancy for a while but wont last long, so will probably need to get agency work for the 3 days a week. So i will struggle a bit financially, the main worry is i have a morgtage and i need money to look after all my animals. This is really what i want to do and i hate sitting in my office day after day staring at a computer screen. I have previous qualifications in Animal subjects i gained many years ago and couldnt do anything about it back then because i was a single parent bringing up a little boy.

But now i can, I know im 50 this year, but still got about 10 years of working life and why shouldnt i spend the next 10 years doing what i would love to do!

Am i mad to turn down a potential well paid job and pursue the career i really want!!!!!

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
cherylahutch
Adult

I think that's fantastic. I always wanted my own business I'm a chef and I started my business in 2008 things went well so I expanded it, cut a long story short things went bad once I had staff employed they treated me badly etc and I ended up really in around Christmas my husband closed down my business before it killed me literally. I would still do it all again in a heartbeat. The moral of the story is do it enjoy what you want to do and take risks. Had I not done what I did I would always be thinking what if. My dream ended badly but I'm sure yours will be fantastic. Go for it you only live once and you deserve to give it a go after putting your family first before
Old 22-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
ash92
Egg

Your not mad a all, My Dad got made redundant after 21 years in the same job from the age of 16. He refused to get a job in the same work again and took a pay cut in a completely different type of work instead.
After 8 years in his new career in a small company, his boss decided to retire and was going to make everyone redundant and close the business, but my dad decided to buy the company another financial risk as we had to remortgage the house but he has now owned it with my working here for 2 and a half years.

Good luck, I am very jealous like you I despise me office job and would love to work with animals, hopefully my time will come where I can one day.
Old 22-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
Catwoman63
Adult

Thankyou peeps, im 95% there but theres just that 5% of my mind unsure of the risk, i dont want to lose my home or my animals, and as always they come first, if it was a choice of losing my home and my animals as i couldnt afford it, i wouldnt risk it as they are my life.

Veterinary nurses and most animal jobs are not paid anything near to what i am paid at the moment (that could change if i change jobs in the company anyway) but i would be alot happier nonetheless, as long as i have enough money to pay my morgage and bills, have enough to eat and look after my animals ill be very happy x

0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Old 22-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
Merlin M
Adult

Bev, there will always be reasons not to take a risk like this, but it could very well all be worth it to be doing something you really love! Sometimes you need to do whats right for YOU for a change!!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

I don't think you're mad at all Bev. Life's short so it's best to live it the best way you can and do things that make you happy. Sometimes that means taking a risk but I'm a great believer that if something's the right thing to do, things will manifest to help you along the way.
My son has a placement at our local vets and he loves it. He just asked the vet when he took our rabbit in, dropped in a letter and references and started two days later. He has a couple of animal diplomas under his belt and is starting another in September. He wants to work within animal welfare, most probably within the RSPCA but he wants to get a degree in Animal Science first, which will open a lot of career opportunities for him.
Good luck with it all. I think the redundancy has come along for you so that you make this life change. Sometimes we need a little push.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
yuna1971
Adult

Night school? Not sure but would that be an option, Bev.
Ps - very excited for you. And fair play to you for taking the plunge into a new career. Not easy these days as jobs are gold dust xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
Am i mad to turn down a potential well paid job and pursue the career i really want!!!!!
I don't think so, go for it if you really want it Bev otherwise you will always be wondering if you should have
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
Suze65
Adult

Bev I agree with everyone else, if you've done the sums, and you can manage to pay the bills and feed yourself and the animals, then go for it. I always wanted to be a vet nurse and never did it, you would be so happy working with animals.
Good luck, it's the chance of a lifetime.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Catwoman63
Adult

Your all really lovely and supportive thank you, what will also help is that my sister lives with me and helps with bills as well, so it might not be too bad, I don't want to work full time anymore doing office work and the new jobs are more responsibility and probably more hours and I don't want that, I think maybe the redundancy is coming at a right time for me like you say to give me a push to change my career, Ill go along to the open days and find out all about it and get financial advice then if I'm accepted and can manage financially then I'm going to do it .......gulp! Lol x

0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)