Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 16-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Default calories - who knows what?

at the moment my diet amounts to just not eating any crisps. I have not eaten any for about 3 or 4 weeks

instead of not eating anything in the morning and having some crisps later on and another bag later on again I am now eating cereal but..

does anybody know how there is 115 calories in 30g of corn flakes and exactly the same in 30g of frosties (tesco brand)? how are frosties not higher?

I would have thought rice crispies would have been much less than that but no, in 30g of rice crispies there are 175 calories!!!

the calories in 30g of corn flakes is the same amount as a bag of crisps but I don't just eat 30g of corn flakes ..can't believe anyone does either as 30g is the size of a packet of McCoys
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
ethelandedna
Incubating

OK this is all guesswork but...

...rice crispies are much lighter than corn flakes so there'd be an awful lot more of them in 30g, thus a lot more calories. Does that make sense or am I being totally stupid?

As for the corn flakes/Frosties thing - I am baffled. You'll have to study the small print. How much sugar, etc.

The only thing I would say is your crisps are going to contain more 'lard' so the cereals are going to be healthier if nothing else.
ethelandedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M
Wink

How does shredded wheat and wheatabix stand up? Cereals are processed a lot and a lot of sugar seems to be added. I have a reduced sugar muesli on a morning which keeps me going until lunch. Be interesting to know how many calories are in that considering the raisins and nuts.

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
yuna1971
Adult

Agree with Helen, I would go for Weetabix/ or Shredded Wheat. You only need to look at the side of the pack to see that its way healthier. Has grains, lots of fibre, low sat fat, low calories, low everything.
Have that with skimmed milk and a bit of granulated sweetner. Maybe chop up a bannana to go with. Sorted.
Rice Crispies, Coco Pops and all those other ones probably choc full of sugar, calories and more than likely wont fill you up in any event.
You need a slow release type food - and I reckon a couple of weetabix (i have this) or Shredded Wheat will work better for you Al, just add a bit of fruit in the mix.
Or.....even try Muesli, Albran.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Mrs Frog
Adult

I think it is best to just eat cardboard as the cereals that are supposed to be good like bran flakes,weetabix,allbran dont taste as nice as a cake or a packet of crisps

I have fruit and yoghurt for breakfast
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
TortBabe
Adult

No crisps for 4 weeks How can you do it, I couldn't I have weetabix for breakfast too, really fills me up and the temptation to snack is less. I like crisps in the evening though
Old 16-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethelandedna View Post
OK this is all guesswork but...

...rice crispies are much lighter than corn flakes so there'd be an awful lot more of them in 30g, thus a lot more calories. Does that make sense or am I being totally stupid?

As for the corn flakes/Frosties thing - I am baffled. You'll have to study the small print. How much sugar, etc.

The only thing I would say is your crisps are going to contain more 'lard' so the cereals are going to be healthier if nothing else.
surely 30g is still 30g though. it's like a ton of feathers and a ton of coal, it's still a ton. it can only be that rice is higher in calories than maize I reckon.

I can't eat much wheat products really so it has to be corn or rice.

I've had those chrunchy honey nut corn flakes and the calories in those are 119 for 30g so not much more than ordinary corn flakes and more tasty

I don't know about weetabix or shredded wheat but we have a box of oat bran flakes and it says 104 cals for 30g
Old 16-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
ibizathetort
Adult

Im the same Alan with wheat so I have muesli or oatabix in the morning
Hatchling Horsfield - Bora
Hatchling Horsfield - Bossa
Hatchling Horsfield - Jet

ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

weetabix is 127 calories but that is for 37.5g portion rather than 30g

100g weetabix is 338 cals and 100g corn flakes is 382 cal, 100g shredded wheat is 330 cals

Last edited by Alan1; 16-05-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 16-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
burnt toast
Adult

I think it doesnt all come down to just calories Alan. I think if you eat the crunchy nut or frosties which admittedly taste nice you will need to eat again sooner because sugar burns fast & you then eat more over the course of the day.

I think its better to eat porridge or eggs, something that doesnt take your blood sugar up for it to then fall again & provoke you to eat.

I once read about a scientific study & they proved people who ate two eggs per day ate less calories overall & lost weight - food for thought.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote