Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Closed Thread

Old 22-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #21
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
RFM,

Predation and fire are two more big killers. Im not sure what percentage of deaths are dietry related, would love to read that reference if you have it Dan.

Next year it'll be poo samples from March to december, see how it varies. I still think that the pics are the net result of the gross eaten by the tortoises and that the other dietry content has beenvvirtually fully utilised. I may have to pull a poo
apart, see how closely it resembles what went in.

Its gonna be a long winter....

Wendy,

Maybe in ten years or so.
yes thats a very valid point about fire and predation , so the odds are stacked against them reaching a good age without considering there diet !
Old 22-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #22
Kirkie
Adult

I agree with what you've said above as it's exactly what I was aiming for. I said at the start I wanted to mimic the spring glut, dry summer, autumn regrowth.
I haven't said at any point that pre alpin has become their main diet. Its a supplemented supplement outside of July, when it's given alongside dried weeds as the bulk of the diet.
Old 22-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #23
Kirkie
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by red foot marg View Post
yes thats a very valid point about fire and predation , so the odds are stacked against them reaching a good age without considering there diet !
I know how they feel!
Old 22-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #24
jonesy
Hatched

Default Pre Alpin Foods

I am putting a shipping order for the pre alpin foods after new year (3rd) If you want some email me and I will let you have the prices.
Every sale makes a donation to 2 tortoise charities to help in rescue and care of tortoises. (Jill Martin Fund & BATK)
thanks
http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
http://www.hedgehoglady.co.uk
http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk Holiday home
Old 22-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #25
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

The life span is just the life span in the wild. There are many factors that influence how old a tortoise gets in the wild. Food and food availability are just a couple of many factors.

Danny
Old 22-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #26
seeshells
Egg

I'm still not convinvced of the logic of shipping this Pre Alpin stuff here, paying the not inconsiderable costs when it isn't a nutritionally analysed diet. It's just a collection of good sounding stuff which as shown from that link
to JR farm foods can be built up yourself for a less money and without the interational shipping.
You could even buy it here: http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk...eeds-173-c.asp
Select a few dried herbs and grass pellets and stuf and cut out the middle man. I'd still give it a try of course, but if y'r keen on an engineered food then perhaps adding nutritionally designed pellets from the likes of Komodo might be a better bet.
Old 22-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #27
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M
Wink

I have bought some of this to mix in with the salad leaves my tortoises are currently living off due to the snow and lack of weeds. They have taken to it well. For me it wasn't about mimicking wild conditions, rather just adding some extra fibre in their diet whilst weeds are off the menu this winter.

Helen xx
Old 22-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #28
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
I am putting a shipping order for the pre alpin foods after new year (3rd) If you want some email me and I will let you have the prices.
Every sale makes a donation to 2 tortoise charities to help in rescue and care of tortoises. (Jill Martin Fund & BATK)
thanks
I bought mine direct , cost for 12.5kg is £29.00, plus post £16.07, total delivered £45.07 , just wondered how your prices compare ?
Old 22-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #29
EJ
Adult

Haven't seen any photos of the animals raised on this stuff.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 22-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #30
Kirkie
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
The thing i guess i don't understand is... why do you want to mimic that... i already know the answer i think... and if what i am thinking is right... you are also going to know my reply...
Ha ha. Yep you know my answer and I know your question to that answer

The only way I can respond is to say...
Wait til you see the swamp I'm building for
my Spotted Turtles.
Closed Thread