Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 10-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #21
EJ
Adult

Depends on how big they are and how fast they grow.

My speedy is about 10 years old. For up to 7 years he was under 10 inches SCL. 5 of those years he was 5 to 7 inches max.

Oh... Sulcatas are way less critical as far as care than leopards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Ed - same husbandry as a leopard except much more room then??
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #22
purplelinda

nice if you could keep the little guy, but at least your sensible enough to way up the odds, would be interesting to find out where your friend got him from
Old 10-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #23
Evie
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Depends on how big they are and how fast they grow.

My speedy is about 10 years old. For up to 7 years he was under 10 inches SCL. 5 of those years he was 5 to 7 inches max.

Oh... Sulcatas are way less critical as far as care than leopards.
That size I could handle - Speedy was in fact smaller than my big lump Honey who is 5 years and 13" and weight 5.7 kgms.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #24
not_katie
Egg

Ohhhh he/she is lovely, I love sully's and WHEN I win the lottery (which is only a matter of time lol) I'm getting one lol

Good luck and I hope it all works out hun x
not_katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #25
Jazzotang
Hatchling

What a cutie, im glad you have him wether you keep him or not he is now much better off! As im sure that if you keep him he will be well looked after and if not i know you will find him a lovely home!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #26
sahara
Hatched

Ignore all the anti-sulcata brigade (they are the ones that tell you to do the sulcata test/tell you that they will bash through any fence and dig holes thirty feet down). Ed is right they are easy to keep, I have 3 different species of tortoise and I would swap the other two for a Sulcata any day. I know about 5 different people now that own Sully's two people own approx 10+ adults all together, they have owned them for years, they are re-homers all bar one and none of them have ever done what is described. His dogs dig bigger holes.

I have a baby also, she was about the same age as yours when I got her, she is now 8 months. Mine also was shedding scaly bits when I had her, which is perfectly normal for the age.

They have so much character.

I don't think anyone has told you yet that he/she needs heat 24-7 which is why they tell you that you need to have won the lottery, this is a bit extreme. You should have kept the viv, he/she could have stayed in that for now, as I know of one breeder that keeps all there sully's in a viv for up to a year after they have hatched, as it is easier to keep the high temps and correct humidity in a viv. I have a megaray, a heat lamp and a heat mat for mine, the heat lamp and mat are on a thermomstat so are not on all the time and the megaray is on a timer. The heat mat sits under her hut but is placed under the floor of the enclosure so she cannot dig down to it. I also must add all my torts are in the garage so it's a bit more difficult to get the temps, if yours is indoors, then you won't need so much. He/she needs to be on more sand than you appear to have in the enclosure. He/she needs to be fed mostly grass with the odd weed thrown in occasionally. Whatever you do, do not overfeed, (although he/she can eat as much grass as he/she likes) otherwise she will be like a tank. It is possible to keep them a nice size, like Laraine said, if you grow them slowly, mine loves her baths, she will often be seen sitting in it for at least half an hour, completely unprompted.

If there is anything else please ask, I am always asking different peoples opinions to find out what suits my little girl the best.

Lastly please don't be put off, she is young and if you care for her well she will become part of your family, the same as any dog can, I was put off initially by the same comments, but after a lot of research and actually talking to and meeting with several different people, I became very angry and still am with the response you get. They can be unruly and destructive if they are uncared for and unhappy, so it's in your hands.

sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #27
YummyMummy04
Hatched

Hello all

thank you all so much for your help, links, advice and kind words.

My husband and i have read thro some info, watched the links you posted and took the test too! lol

We have tried to be as realistic as poss about the needs of the tort and space and finances but do feel we can give him a good forever home.

So we have decided to keep him! I am still a bit concerned as i wasnt expecting this and i do like to be prepared and research these things but it feels right but bit scary too. My husband has totally fallen in love with the tort (as i have too).

We are going to keep the torts name that was chosen by my friend which was Bowser as it does kinda suit him.

My husband has made him a 2ft by 4 1/2 by 9 inches deep tort table this afternoon and we hope it will last Bowser a few months. Do you think it will??

Thank you again everyone it is nice to have some support and advice XXX

YummyMummy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #28
lindso3000
Adult

Send a message via MSN to lindso3000

We are going to keep the torts name that was chosen by my friend which was Bowser as it does kinda suit him

One of mine is called Bowser!!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #29
EJ
Adult

Check out this book... it'll give you a realistic view on the care of Sulcatas...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...ortoises+pirog

Quote:
Originally Posted by YummyMummy04 View Post
Hello all

thank you all so much for your help, links, advice and kind words.

My husband and i have read thro some info, watched the links you posted and took the test too! lol

We have tried to be as realistic as poss about the needs of the tort and space and finances but do feel we can give him a good forever home.

So we have decided to keep him! I am still a bit concerned as i wasnt expecting this and i do like to be prepared and research these things but it feels right but bit scary too. My husband has totally fallen in love with the tort (as i have too).

We are going to keep the torts name that was chosen by my friend which was Bowser as it does kinda suit him.

My husband has made him a 2ft by 4 1/2 by 9 inches deep tort table this afternoon and we hope it will last Bowser a few months. Do you think it will??

Thank you again everyone it is nice to have some support and advice XXX
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #30
Evie
Sub Adult

That is good to hear - I would love to have one - I am sure you will enjoy every moment!!

Anne
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote