Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 19-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #81
EJ
Adult

Major sigh... I'm glad you've become an expert. I'm sure you are welcome to the club/clubs.

When you really understand reptiles/amphibians... herps... I'm willing to bet you will not be so judgemental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie and Morla View Post
I'll point out I've been on an animal management course, not only college but university level. It does not teach you everything. The first thing I learnt when we got our tortoises is it's very important to find out what works for your individual tortoises. We got ours and quickly discovered flaws with the standard info from colleges, the main issue was the substrate could have been swallowed, if it had the tortoise would have had serious impaction. Then we tried following the tortoise trust stuff and caused problems for them. It wasn't what they were used to and they couldn't cope. Turned out ours needed a viv or they couldn't be kept warm enough and preferred a steady diet of some lettuce leaves, herbs and something else from the garden such as dandelion leaves for the nutrition. We could neither keep up with 'weeds' (sorry but we refer to them as herbs too) and the tortoises had constant runs. So neither are the be all and end all to trust. I have since given my experience back to the college and they're taking it on board.

I will say that it's not wise to say no pet shops should sell reptiles. However, the authorities need to be educated on the animals' needs. At the moment as long as they have a substrate, water and food of some description they can't do anything. It's really sad but it means that reptiles aren't currently policed. All we can do at the moment is refuse to buy from places with substandard care which this sounds like. I've seen how Pets at Home keep their reptiles and it frustrates me no end. Not as bad as one place I went to though. If only I could have reported them, Horsfield tortoises were on damp kitchen roll, water bowl too high for such little torts, lights only switched on when the owner switched lights on for people to see them, no food bowl even and no hide. I actually witnessed him sell one to someone with no accommodation for it and every intention of just shoving it in with her beardies which were all crammed in one viv.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #82
Nellie and Morla
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Major sigh... I'm glad you've become an expert. I'm sure you are welcome to the club/clubs.

When you really understand reptiles/amphibians... herps... I'm willing to bet you will not be so judgemental.
I don't understand how I'm being judgemental? Nor do I see where I claim to be an expert?
1 male Noseby panther chameleon
2 White's tree frogs, Lilly (female) and Rollie (male)
1 hypotranslucent smoothie chilli red female bearded dragon, Blaze
Nellie and Morla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #83
EJ
Adult

Re read your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie and Morla View Post
I don't understand how I'm being judgemental? Nor do I see where I claim to be an expert?
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #84
Nellie and Morla
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Re read your post.
Hmm let's see. A point of animals are individuals so no one knows everything to cover all, which was my lesson when I got tortoises and also as a response to the fact that you were getting hounded for no good reason just for adding your opinion. The fact that DEFRA know naff all about herps so they can't do much and might even make things worse. Yes it has been known. Finally the point that Pets at Homes stores often don't know enough about herps, but then half of them don't know enough about guinea pigs. They just often aren't the best place to get animals, there are better pet shops for that. Eventually I hope they get the message and change, I'm seeing some small changes in my area for the better. Oh and last of all the point that while Pets at Home are frustrating there are really nasty places that we should forgo buying from. The simple rule being if you really don't like it simply don't buy from there. Never was anything I put meant to be nasty toward anyone except that guy whom kept his reptiles in the dark most of the time, no cover and all misted despite half being desert species. Of course as per both rules and basic polite conduct I am not naming the place nor describing where it is at all.

If something really was bad I need something more specific than re-read your post. I have autism. If I didn't spot it the first time I rarely ever spot it the second time. I simply do my best to give opinion and experiences as factual as possible without offending anyone. I don't understand what was wrong with what I put.

Oh also I know I can hardly claim to be an expert. In total I've looked after 3 Hermans, 1 Greek spur-thighed, a group of red foots and the 2 Horsfield's we got and have only had nearly 2 years now I think. Each species all the individuals came from the same background so each individual had similar needs to the others of its kind. If I was an expert I wouldn't be double checking the signs of dehydration on here right now would I? I'm a bit hazy on that.
1 male Noseby panther chameleon
2 White's tree frogs, Lilly (female) and Rollie (male)
1 hypotranslucent smoothie chilli red female bearded dragon, Blaze

Last edited by Nellie and Morla; 19-09-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Nellie and Morla is offline   Reply With Quote